Sign in to follow this  

Did I make a mistake?

Hello everyone,

Im 16 years old and I wanted to start motocross racing, so i recently got a YZ250 and after reading about things online it seems as nobody recommends the bike as its very powerful and races in the 450 class. Im really comfortable with the bike im practicing all the time, I just want some advice or thought on the direction im heading in from the pros here, Thank you.

P.S I've been riding bikes for nearly my whole life

Nothing wrong with a YZ250. Just like any bike you have to learn how to get the most out of it. Plus, the 250 does not race in the 450 class in AMA Amateur events. They only race with the 450's in the Pro ranks.

You should be able to race it in the 250 class like SS said already and you should have a leg up in the power raceing with the 250 thumpers

Nothing wrong with a YZ250. Just like any bike you have to learn how to get the most out of it. Plus, the 250 does not race in the 450 class in AMA Amateur events. They only race with the 450's in the Pro ranks.

Does the American Motorcycle Association run events in the UK? lol

Thank you very much its just that I thought from reading online that a 250 2 stroke i too much bike for a beginner racer, that took a load off my shoulders again thanks man.

Thank you very much its just that I thought from reading online that a 250 2 stroke i too much bike for a beginner racer, that took a load off my shoulders again thanks man.

It is the wrong bike to try MX, but you can't very well head out and buy something else, now can you? Or can you?:bonk:

Body-position is very important in MX and a 2t can be tough on a new guy to keep his centre of gravity up front, where it belongs. You must really learn to grip the bike with your legs, don't fight the bike by pulling hard on the handle-bars. If you find you are getting arm pump fast or have trouble anticipating what the bike will do and instead are reacting to what it is doing...dial it back a bit.

Remember: MX is about having close calls and collecting it all under you and keep going without wrecking. A bike you are a little behind on will mean the close calls become nasty wrecks.

I began my MX learning on a 2t...Minds much smarter than I advised I switch to a 250f. So I did, and it was a smart move for me, as it let me learn how to wring everything out of a bike and carry speed through-out the corner.

Then I switched to my 2t for a year of racing against 450's and that sucked, so I had to get me an efi 450. The rest is history.

Good luck...and ride safely. :smirk:

If you feel comfortable on the 250 and learn to use it's power, I don't see how you could go wrong. One thing you'll find is that after learning on the 250 2t, if you step off on to a 250 4t, the 4t will feel like a toy under you and you'll be able to go faster on it. The good part about the 2t is maintenance is much cheaper and easier. Another plus is you'll be ready to move comfortably to a 450 4t once you've got used to the 250 2t; the power won't be intimidating. Of course, you could always jump on a 500 2t and after that all other bikes feel like toys. :smirk:

If you feel comfortable on the 250 and learn to use it's power, I don't see how you could go wrong. One thing you'll find is that after learning on the 250 2t, if you step off on to a 250 4t, the 4t will feel like a toy under you and you'll be able to go faster on it. The good part about the 2t is maintenance is much cheaper and easier. Another plus is you'll be ready to move comfortably to a 450 4t once you've got used to the 250 2t; the power won't be intimidating. Of course, you could always jump on a 500 2t and after that all other bikes feel like toys. :smirk:

Going from a 250t to a 250f is a tough switch. Every double you used to make without much concern for traction or run-up...becomes that much harder. Carrying corner speed is vital on a 250f, whereas the 2t can just slide and flick..way different. Not many guys like this switch, once they are up to speed on a 2t.

The hit from a 2t is always much more measured than a 450 because you are actually using the clutch and can therefore control it. No-where near the torque of a 450 so it is never going to be as noticeable. A 450 is all: "...brake-square-up and wide-open throttle. Repeat.

Besides...Where I live the temperatures can swing as much as 20C from morning to afternoon and I knew my jetting was always going to be off, and it just annoyed me to see the 450 fuel injected guys grinning from ear to ear. So I had to relent and drink the kool-aid.:bonk:

Going from a 250t to a 250f is a tough switch. Every double you used to make without much concern for traction or run-up...becomes that much harder. Carrying corner speed is vital on a 250f, whereas the 2t can just slide and flick..way different. Not many guys like this switch, once they are up to speed on a 2t.

The hit from a 2t is always much more measured than a 450 because you are actually using the clutch and can therefore control it. No-where near the torque of a 450 so it is never going to be as noticeable. A 450 is all: "...brake-square-up and wide-open throttle. Repeat.

Besides...Where I live the temperatures can swing as much as 20C from morning to afternoon and I knew my jetting was always going to be off, and it just annoyed me to see the 450 fuel injected guys grinning from ear to ear. So I had to relent and drink the kool-aid.:smirk:

I learned two ride on a 125 two stroke. my buddies all had 250f bikes and i always thought they were so fast and torquey and easy to ride. when i finally switched to a 4 stroke, i went with a crf450. that bike had power and torque forever it seemed.

One day the 450 blew up so i hopped back on the 125. that 450 made me so lazy that i had a very hard time riding the 125. now i ride a 250t and it's seriously the greatest thing since sliced bread. it's so light and nimble, but it has more than enough power to put a big smile on my face.

i recently rode a 250f the other day and it felt like a slow, overweight toy.

Wow a lot of replies already really appreciate it guys, im really stuck with the 250 2t but 2 be honest with you I love it, its just so much fun. I guess I'll just take it step by step and see where it takes me. BTW how does a 250 2t against a 450t considering there in the same class in the pros?

Wow a lot of replies already really appreciate it guys, im really stuck with the 250 2t but 2 be honest with you I love it, its just so much fun. I guess I'll just take it step by step and see where it takes me. BTW how does a 250 2t against a 450t considering there in the same class in the pros?

Well if RC is on the 2t..he can or I mean could beat anybody back in the day. The technology on 4t has kept progressing, whereas the 2t is pretty much barely limping along. And since the AMA is about some degree of similarities between the production specs and race bikes, a modern 2t wouldn't keep up, in even the best hands.

But therein lies the rub: Everybody always compares what a top-notch rider can do in a shoot-out. Not a joe-blow average wanna-be MX-dude. In some guys hands a 2t is a ridden like a work of art, others timid and sketchy to beat hell. But stick either of them on a 450 and they can better their lap-times. Simple as that.

Well if RC is on the 2t..he can or I mean could beat anybody back in the day. The technology on 4t has kept progressing, whereas the 2t is pretty much barely limping along. And since the AMA is about some degree of similarities between the production specs and race bikes, a modern 2t wouldn't keep up, in even the best hands.

But therein lies the rub: Everybody always compares what a top-notch rider can do in a shoot-out. Not a joe-blow average wanna-be MX-dude. In some guys hands a 2t is a ridden like a work of art, others timid and sketchy to beat hell. But stick either of them on a 450 and they can better their lap-times. Simple as that.

Whilst the four stroke "can" not will better your lap time's. It's not about that, it's about having fun.

Whilst the four stroke "can" not will better your lap time's. It's not about that, it's about having fun.

I was referring to his question..You know? One versus the other. Pretty honest answer if you ask me.

I was referring to his question..You know? One versus the other. Pretty honest answer if you ask me.

lol you took that the wrong way. I was answering his question by telling him to stop worrying, and enjoy what he has.

i believe that every weekend warrior should ride a two stroke because of their simplicity and cost.

The case could be made that the YZ250 is the best bike made. When my kid lines up our 2010 YZF250 with a GYTR Head and Yosi Pipe we give up about 9HP to the YZ250s next to us. Some guys snivel about the smokers on the line. I say they are 250cc so line em up!

Because these are Novice riders we can run the smoker down in the corners but when they hit the straight away the smokers are gone man!

When my kid gets lazy I put him back on a 04 YZ125 for an afternoon and the kid can ride again.

If it were up to me we would not own a 4 Stoke unless we had Factory Backing and their mechanics working on the over priced/over hyped junk. It is my feeling if you ride a smoker and then move to a 4 Stroke you will move up a level in the first hour. If your ride a 4 stroke and move to a Smoker you better pack your lunch because the transition is harder.

Summation: If you want to get fast ride a Smoker. The transition to the Four later is easy. Just my two cents and worth about what you paid me for it.

Does the American Motorcycle Association run events in the UK? lol

Well, considering that the AMA and American SX/MX influence most other racing when it comes to MX, I'm sure it is pretty similar. I'm sure OP can look up the rule book where he lives to be sure.

OP, this article from MXA that was in the thread about the Pros in Canada possibly getting the option to run 4t or 2t in the Pros is pretty informative talking about 4t compared to a 2t. Different brand of bikes but, all things being pretty equal, it does highlight a few things about the two. http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/TWOSTROKE-VERSUS-FOURSTROKE-2012-KTM-250SXF-VS-201-8417.aspx