Sign in to follow this  

Using clutch while standing

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to learn to use the clutch while standing not to shift but to control power and prevent stalling but its proving very difficult. If i use two fingers and pull it all the way to the bar I don't have enough grip left on the bar and end up slipping off. If i use one finger and try to jam the clutch lever up against the fingers on the grip it doesn't disengage. What is the proper way to do this and is it possible to adjust the clutch so it disengages further out?

Adjust your levers to where they are comfy for you to use and also find the release point for when you release the clutch as you don't need to pull it all the way in:thumbsup: Oh and you can buy different levers as well :smirk:

I ride with my hands like this whether I am sitting or standing :bonk:

_mg_2295.jpg

If you are tall, you might consider some bar risers if you don't already have any. They made a huge difference for me. Here's a before and after picture (look at how much higher the bars stick from the front plate):

compared.jpg

The risers installed:

bars-4.jpg

My drz bars are now at the same heigth as my RM250 bars. Makes standing and operating much more comfortable.

WGW

+1 on the risers. I also adjusted my levers down a bit so when standing Im pulling up rather than towards my knees. If that makes any sense. :smirk:

I would use shorter levers, they tend to make it easier to pull with one or two fingers. Also, I pushed my controls forward more so they are pointing a little more down, it looks wierd when you are sitting but once you stand you can use them easier. It will just take time and practice, before you know it you will be clutching like crazy.

Move your levers closer to the center of the bars so you can only pull the last two inches of the lever with your two fingers. Also put your bike on the stand stand up and adjust the angle of your levers so they are comfortable to pull while standing.

Very good opinions in here. I was having the same problems yesterday, just getting used to standing and doing everything. I found that I have trouble shifting when standing. My feet are so tense or planted I've found It's a bit awkward to quickly down shift coming into a corner and shift up coming out. I will take my boot off the peg and then back on. Also the clutch on my 98 cr250 isn't as buttery as alot of the newer 4 strokes, so pulling with just 2 fingers is somewhat of a challenge. I usually have to use all 4 which will prevent me from shifting or clutching in a challenging rut (since I can't hold the bars as tight) Hopefully this Magura hydraulic clutch will help me be able to pull with 2 fingers.

Depending on the terrain, I don't use the clutch much while standing.

Normally I use the clutch and pick the gear I want before I get to a technical or rough patch so I can concentrate on where I'm going as opposed to choosing a gear at an inopportune time.

Like already mentioned, put your levers in a position which is comfortable when your standing.

Bar risers are good addition but it pays to experiment a little until you find a position that suits you.:smirk:

Very good opinions in here. I was having the same problems yesterday, just getting used to standing and doing everything. I found that I have trouble shifting when standing. My feet are so tense or planted I've found It's a bit awkward to quickly down shift coming into a corner and shift up coming out. I will take my boot off the peg and then back on. Also the clutch on my 98 cr250 isn't as buttery as alot of the newer 4 strokes, so pulling with just 2 fingers is somewhat of a challenge. I usually have to use all 4 which will prevent me from shifting or clutching in a challenging rut (since I can't hold the bars as tight) Hopefully this Magura hydraulic clutch will help me be able to pull with 2 fingers.

If you prefer to stand, set your controls where you feel most comfortable, likewise if you prefer to sit.

But either way it's going to be a compromise doing one or the other.

The gear lever will right for standing but too high for sitting, same with the rear brake.

If you find your in a situation and need to change gears but the clutch is to awkward, don't use it, just a little blip on the down changes and roll the throttle off on the up changes and it will all go smoothly.:smirk:

Lot of guys will tell you, they only use the clutch for starting and stopping.

If you prefer to stand, set your controls where you feel most comfortable, likewise if you prefer to sit.

But either way it's going to be a compromise doing one or the other.

The gear lever will right for standing but too high for sitting, same with the rear brake.

If you find your in a situation and need to change gears but the clutch is to awkward, don't use it, just a little blip on the down changes and roll the throttle off on the up changes and it will all go smoothly.:bonk:

Lot of guys will tell you, they only use the clutch for starting and stopping.

Yea I've heard that from alot of dudes, but honestly, I'm not trying to go pro or anything, I just don't want to do any inappropriate damage to the bike if at all possible. I can't remember but I've heard I think it was downshifting without the clutch is worse than upshifting, but could be wrong. I have just put it out of my mind, and shifted without the clutch. Definitely faster both literally and mentally, makes me better. 1 less thing to worry about = more concentration.

I definitely prefer to sit, like any lazy ass. I am having trouble determining when to sit or stand. I know for sure to be sitting in a berm/rutted corner obviously and I've started to learn jumping sitting although I'm able to hit a bigger/longer jump standing. This is like my 5th time on a MX track. I think the biggest thing for me to work on is getting out there MORE! :smirk::lol:

I've noticed alot of people pop up with a million questions, but the real answers are found after hours, days, weeks, months and years on the seat at the track. It's great to get on here and chat it up though. Cannot wait to get that hydro clutch installed.

Yea I've heard that from alot of dudes, but honestly, I'm not trying to go pro or anything, I just don't want to do any inappropriate damage to the bike if at all possible. I can't remember but I've heard I think it was downshifting without the clutch is worse than upshifting, but could be wrong. I have just put it out of my mind, and shifted without the clutch. Definitely faster both literally and mentally, makes me better. 1 less thing to worry about = more concentration.

I definitely prefer to sit, like any lazy ass. I am having trouble determining when to sit or stand. I know for sure to be sitting in a berm/rutted corner obviously and I've started to learn jumping sitting although I'm able to hit a bigger/longer jump standing. This is like my 5th time on a MX track. I think the biggest thing for me to work on is getting out there MORE! :bonk::smirk:

I've noticed alot of people pop up with a million questions, but the real answers are found after hours, days, weeks, months and years on the seat at the track. It's great to get on here and chat it up though. Cannot wait to get that hydro clutch installed.

Big difference between riding MX to riding off road, in as much as MX you know whats around the next corner, off road/cross country you don't.

MX you can sit at the same place, stand at the same place, brake, accelerate and change gears at the same place every lap.

Off road over the course of a day, you might ride 100 mile or more and not cover the same ground twice, in which case you stand up ready for the unexpected and your in a better position to negotiate obstacles. Plus when your bike is all setup and your reasonably fit it becomes less tiring than sitting.

Big difference between riding MX to riding off road, in as much as MX you know whats around the next corner, off road/cross country you don't.

MX you can sit at the same place, stand at the same place, brake, accelerate and change gears at the same place every lap.

Off road over the course of a day, you might ride 100 mile or more and not cover the same ground twice, in which case you stand up ready for the unexpected and your in a better position to negotiate obstacles. Plus when your bike is all setup and your reasonably fit it becomes less tiring than sitting.

I mean, I agree, but we're just talking about the simple act of standing while operating the bike, regardless of where you are.