Sign in to follow this  

Best method to install grips

I am getting ready to put new grips on my bike. They are Pro Tapers and I have the grip glue recommended by them. In my past experiences you have to be really quick sliding the grip on or it gets stuck and you end up starting over. Sometimes saving the new grip doe not work out. I have heard of people using spray paint and just the other day was told by an individual to just use WD-40 as it works like a charm. Anybody have any information to share on how to easily install these things and have them stay put ?

Removal of old grips:

1. I push a philips screwdriver under the grip and spray brake cleaner in there. That will loosen the grip and it slides off, and the brake cleaner dries quickly.

2. The brake cleaner cleans the bar, so wipe it off while its still wet to speed the process.

3. I use spray paint (laquer dries quicker, like in 3 min.). Spray the paint on the bar and inside the grip. I look inside the grip and make sure its all around. Quickly slide the grip on the bar. It will dry quickly so make sure its on straight and is pushed up to where it should be.

4. U R Done.

5. Take the grip glue back to the store and get your money back.

There is a great thread on here with lots of tips and tricks. Give me a minute, I'll post the link up.

X2 :smirk:

Removal of old grips:

1. I push a philips screwdriver under the grip and spray brake cleaner in there. That will loosen the grip and it slides off, and the brake cleaner dries quickly.

2. The brake cleaner cleans the bar, so wipe it off while its still wet to speed the process.

3. I use spray paint (laquer dries quicker, like in 3 min.). Spray the paint on the bar and inside the grip. I look inside the grip and make sure its all around. Quickly slide the grip on the bar. It will dry quickly so make sure its on straight and is pushed up to where it should be.

4. U R Done.

5. Take the grip glue back to the store and get your money back.

Mike/Bill, I've used the paint method for close to 30 years. When the paint does work loose, I just re-do it and its good until the grips need replaced.

My son's bike came with safety wire jamed back under. That worked OK until one day when I was riding it and a wire came loose and jammed unto my hand... ouch for sure. So I don't safety wire mine. Just thought I'd mention that.

I replaced my grips when I bought a new handlebar last fall. On the throttle side I just used some window cleaner to help the grip slide on easier & wired it. The clutch end of my new Tag bar was knurled, so again I just used some window cleaner to slide it on & wired it. Never had a problem with the safety wires coming loose or poking my hand.

A bonus to not using any kind of adhesive under the grips was that I was able to save & reuse the throttle grip when I put on a new Magura throttle a few weeks ago. I'm not sure you'd be able to do that if you used any kind of glue or adhesive.

I appreciate the input from everyone. Obviously their are a lot of home remedies people use that are working. I have decided to give spray paint a try. I think I will pass on the safety wire at least initially.

Thanks again to everyone.

Hair Spray, I used this many times when I was racing dirt bikes. Works great!!!!

I use friction tape and an air hose. Never had them slip. Glue is over rated.