Ticking sound from triple clamp

Hi,

A few days ago I've noticed that when i push the bike against the

wall (or with the front brake pressed) at some point there is this

"Tick" sound, like something jumped, and when I release I hear another "Tick",

like something jumped back.

I tried to find out where does it come from, and it sounds like it's from the

area of the lower triple clamp.

Other than that, I feel no freedom or stiffness while steering, or any other problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Can I check / fix it without disassembling the fork?

That, or the front brake rotor buttons. ?

By buttons you mean bolts? So how come the noise is from the triple clamp

and not the rotor?

Thanks!

Can I check / fix it without disassembling the fork?

By buttons you mean bolts? So how come the noise is from the triple clamp

and not the rotor?

Thanks!

First check for forward and aft movement.

Either put the bike on a stand/lift, front wheel clear of the ground or get a helper to pull the front wheel clear of the ground using the sidestand and rear wheel and pulling back.

First test for smooth lock to lock operation.

Then, hold the front brake on, grab the front wheel, push forward and backward checking for movement.

Even if no movement is detected, thats not to say you can't still nip up the the headstock nut a touch.

You will need to remove the top triple clamp, then using a hammer and drift tap the nut in a clockwise direction.

Continue to check for smooth lock to lock operation, when it starts to bind up or get notchy, back off the nut to the point you have smooth lock to lock operation.

Depending on the age of the bike and PO's maintenance if your not the first owner, you might find that there is bugger all grease in the headstock bearing's and it might pay to disassemble and repack the bearing's.

I'd check your front rotor rivets,they get sloppy over time,especially riding on the street..and when you put the brake on the rotor stops and your hub keeps going:smirk:

sounds like you know a thing or two about that eh cuddles??:bonk:

sounds like you know a thing or two about that eh cuddles?:bonk:?
? Mine has been sloppy for a friggin year:busted: I got the oversize one from Braking,not the 1\2in one that costs 2 grand:rolleyes:{what the hell is up with that??] and the damn thing loosened up in a few months! overpriced pos,if I lived near their shop I'd I drive my car to the open bay door in the back,whistle to get their attention,then I would say "sock shiiiit! and throw it in there like a frisbee..They soak us SM guys!..You see the price of the Goldspeed complete systems?..you could do your cars complete brake system twice for the cost..and what do they give you?..a disc,metal braded line and a little plastic master cylinder?..I could buy a 90s GXR for the cost of their front brake system:smirk:..sad part is,I'm not exaggerating!
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the answers so far.

I don't think it's the rotor, as it happens also if i push the bike against a wall,

without applying the brake.

I will check the rest of the suggestions.

your stem bearings are shot ?

hold front brake, rock back and forth, it will TICK and POP or whatever. get some waterproof grease when you order your new bearings. grease em twice or thrice a year, or after every nap in the water.

your stem bearings are shot ?

hold front brake, rock back and forth, it will TICK and POP or whatever. get some waterproof grease when you order your new bearings. grease em twice or thrice a year, or after every nap in the water.

+1 check if nothing else. Mine locked up tight no fun!

• 11 months later...

do you have a floating front rotor ?

or play in the steering head

I have about 1mm play in my front rotor. I hold the brake and rock the bike back n forth there is a slight click in the disc. With the bike on a stand I can move the rotor slightly about 1mm (at most) each way. The movement is in these things.....

P1020246_zpsddfeaacd.jpg

I'm not sure if these are the "buttons" as mentioned above or if it is a "floating rotor" but my question is...... Is this normal, more importantly is it safe or should I be getting a new rotor ASAP ? (not an idea I am overly keen on as I have Chemwelded my speedo pickup magnet into my disk)

I have about 1mm play in my front rotor. I hold the brake and rock the bike back n forth there is a slight click in the disc. With the bike on a stand I can move the rotor slightly about 1mm (at most) each way. The movement is in these things.....

P1020246_zpsddfeaacd.jpg

I'm not sure if these are the "buttons" as mentioned above or if it is a "floating rotor" but my question is...... Is this normal, more importantly is it safe or should I be getting a new rotor ASAP ? (not an idea I am overly keen on as I have Chemwelded my speedo pickup magnet into my disk)

If you are getting that kind of play in the rotor the buttons as you put it are going bad and the rotor needs to be replaced. As far as the Chemweld on the speedo its not hard to break loose and re JBweld it back together. I would replace that rotor promptly though or risk it coming apart all together.

• Like 1

It's a floating disc ... Some play is normal

Excessive play is not

What would you class as some play or excessive play ? This moves about 0.5mm each way from centred, it doesn't feel sloppy and takes two hands to move. I think I will replace it in the near future regardless but would prefer get Christmas / New Year and a two week vacation I have planned out of the way first..... ?