Sign in to follow this  

250SX cylinder head on 250XC?

Okay this is something i have heard about for awhile and i really want to do it now.

Apparently you can put the 250sx cylinder head on the 250xc to make the motor a bit more aggressive/snappy?

ive been trying to find information on this but havnt been very succesful. Do you just buy the OEM 250sx head and bolt it on?

or am i supposed to buy a kit of some sort, or do i have to change other things such a carboration or watever to make it work correctly?

BTW the bike i currently wish to do this to is a 2012 ktm 250xc

thanks!

Go to ktmtalk forums and do a search on the subject of the SX head. You can buy the SX head and bolt it onto the XC cylinder. You will have to change the jetting for this change. Its a cheaper route to have the original XC head modded by having the bowl reshaped. You can also get the SX CDI to supplement the SX head. The head mod will increase the compression and make the motor more snappy.

Ian

Best bang for the buck is having the squish band set on the stock XC head. Cycle playground, Slavens or RB Designs are all good choices.

Slavens does not offer the head mod for the 250 EXC, XC, or XC-W; stating that the 250SX head is far superior to machining the stock head.

I purchased an SX head from Slavens and just bolted it on.

There was a noticeable improvement in low end power. Not eye opening but it made a difference.

I ride at 6000 ft so there may be more or less difference at sea level.

If you ride slippery or rough terrain like me low and mid range power is critical for maintaining speed. Top end power causes more trouble than its worth on tough trails.

I purchased an SX head from Slavens and just bolted it on.

There was a noticeable improvement in low end power. Not eye opening but it made a difference.

I ride at 6000 ft so there may be more or less difference at sea level.

If you ride slippery or rough terrain like me low and mid range power is critical for maintaining speed. Top end power causes more trouble than its worth on tough trails.

so what i am understanding is that you bought an OEM SX head and just swappedd it with the stock XC head? nothing else?

its a great added improvement on a 250 the xcw was a big difference when i did it, it was a bolt on

Yes, I just bolted on the head and rode it.

You may need to play with jetting but I didn't.

Stock, the power was in the wrong place in the powerband. The SX Head gave me more useable power down low. Again not eye opening, just better.