Sign in to follow this  

Rear chain guide necessity

The rear chain guide on my KDX220 2001 was worn so bad. I bought a Fredericks aftermarket replacement. After I bolt it on, it is crooked. The chain would rubb the side of the guide, where it's metal. When I stand behind the bike, the guide is slanted. As far as I can tell, I think the metal tab mount on the swing arm is bent. But it is very beefy, and I can't imagine how anything would've bend it. I tried to straight it out, but to no avail. I can see the old guide was totally worn on the side too. Looks like the problem has been there for a while. I'm thinking the only way is to cut the mount off the swing arm and weld it back on straight. Or I can run without the guide. So is it OK to run without a chain guide?

yep try a crescent wrench. if it breaks then you can weld it back where it's supposed to be. yes you need it if you want your chain to stay on.

Or I could sell you a great condition swingarm for half the cost of any of that.

Hell, I will sell you a larger crescent wrench and upper body workout book.

Ok. I finally was able to bend it straight. Took a lot of muscle power. And I had to lay the bike on the side so that I can use a long cheater bar.

thats why the TM design chain guides are rubbery plastic. they are stiff enough to guide chain but wont break or bend you when you smash em in a rut or with a rock.