Ride doubles on your dual sport

We have a R6 right now and the wife loves going out for rides. I am in the market for a dual sport and have been looking at some ktm's that have dirt tire setups and supermoto tires. Just wondering if riding doubles on these is really feasible. Do you need a different seat or have to add an extra set of pegs etc. This would be for riding on the street not dirt

u would have to add pegs, the only spot could be the swingarm, where the chain will definitely grab her shoes. and the suspension travel will mage the pegs go up and down and its not practical

u would have to add pegs, the only spot could be the swingarm, where the chain will definitely grab her shoes. and the suspension travel will mage the pegs go up and down and its not practical

Incorrect :bonk:

most bikes have them on drop brackets frome the frame right?

Correct :smirk:

• Like 1

Do drz400 's have second pegs? has anyone ever seen a 525exc or 450exc ktm with second pegs? would the seat be long enough or would you need to get one made longer?

Do drz400 's have second pegs? has anyone ever seen a 525exc or 450exc ktm with second pegs? would the seat be long enough or would you need to get one made longer?

Yes they do. My buddy has taken his wife on short rides on his.

Unless you get a KTM 690 enduro, I don't see you riding 2 up on anything smaller that's a KTM. And I'm not even sure that the 690 has a second set of pegs, just the bike seems large enough to ride two up.

so if a drz400 can handle it for short rides then a 525 should be able to right?

so if a drz400 can handle it for short rides then a 525 should be able to right?

Not really. The KTM EXC series is totally different.

If you are simply looking for engine power, the KTM will blow your mind and you better tell your woman to hold on for dear life when you crack that throttle.

The bikes are totally different bikes. Suzuki took a street type bike and made it into a dirt bike. The DRZ 400 is a very comfortable bike.

KTM took a dirt bike and made it street legal. The KTM will out perform the DRZ on any trail or desert ride (IMO). With that being said, the DRZ is a much more comfortable bike and the subframe was designed and strong enough to take a passenger.

I went on a 500 mile dual sport ride from San Diego to Las Vegas. I was on a 450 EXC and three others on DRZ's. By the end of that trip, I wish I was on a DRZ. Smoother ride and a lot more comfortable.

If my wife wouldn't kill me if I bought another bike, I'd get a DRZ for long dual sport rides only because of the comfort factor. I love the DRZ, solid bike with power.

Edit: and now I just read the "short ride" part. up to you, but I'd still take the DRZ if you are riding 2 up.

Yeah right now we take the r6 out for about 80-120 mile rides and I dont have the money for two bikes, so I am thinking if I could throw her on with some super moto tires and go hit the road for a little while on it that would be good, doign some reading though it doesnt sound like many people have faith in the ktm rear subframe.

I would worry about subframe strength on the ktm's aka race bikes

• Like 1

Yeah right now we take the r6 out for about 80-120 mile rides and I dont have the money for two bikes, so I am thinking if I could throw her on with some super moto tires and go hit the road for a little while on it that would be good, doign some reading though it doesnt sound like many people have faith in the ktm rear subframe.

I have total faith in my KTM subframe. It was not designed to carry a passenger. Period. Expecting an EXC to safely carry a passenger is as far fetched as expecting a dual sport designed to carry a passenger performing as well off road as the KTM. Completely different type of bikes designed for different purposes.

I have owned a DRZ also, and I think it would be a little underwhelming with a passenger onboard. Think high 20's for HP stock. Coming from an R6, you are going to be disappointed.

Suzuki took a street type bike and made it into a dirt bike. The DRZ 400 is a very comfortable bike.

What "street type" bike did Suzuki make into a dirt bike to creat the DRZ 400S? Just curious...

Honestly, I can't think of any truly off-road capable DS that's going to be much fun for riding two up. Then again, I can't imagine two up on an R6 being all that comfortable for the passenger either, so maybe your passenger won't mind!

Suzuki took a street type bike and made it into a dirt bike. The DRZ 400 is a very comfortable bike.

What "street type" bike did Suzuki make into a dirt bike to creat the DRZ 400S? Just curious...

Honestly, I can't think of any truly off-road capable DS that's going to be much fun for riding two up. Then again, I can't imagine two up on an R6 being all that comfortable for the passenger either, so maybe your passenger won't mind!

I was wandering the same thing. Maybe it was a VS800? It's got a 21" front wheel! LOL. In all seriousness, I think the DRZ400 is probably the most uncomfortable bike to ride two up on. Even the wife's DR200 is more comfartable than it, but you can guess the rest of that story.......

I'd opt for a DR650 or KLR650 for ocassional two up riding. But at the same time, an R6 couldn't be that comfortable either. If you can opt for a more street oriented bike, a Vstrom is quite comfy two up.

If you want to "explore" dirt roads and such two up you should look a Kawl Versys or a 650 V strom maybe. One of the local guys has his Versys set up with D/S tires and hard top box and rides moderat jeep traisl really well. And you can buy some left in stock new ones for $5500 out the door! But if you want to do real trails, no bike is going to be good two up!

I own a 450 exc and can tell you that I would not go two up on it. It's just not meant for it. Some people will say go for it but it was made for one rider.

It's an off road race/trail bike, stock it's set up for a 160-180 pound rider.

Yes, it's plated but not meant to do long highway miles. You can make it motard but I would invest in a cush hub and other mods that cost serious $$$'s. Even single rider motard you have to do some major maintenance with major highway miles.

Look seriously at what you want to do. Are you always going to go two up on your moto? Do you want a bike to do SOME off roading and street, single or two up?

Mostly street or mostly dirt? Are you into maintenance?

There are many factors other than these that you need to consider. Be honest with yourself on what you want to do, especially going two up with someone and having the proper motorcycle to do the job. Making the right choice can save you money, maintenance time and having fun while being safe as possible. Consider the one you have on the back of your bike!

Edited by pterry

The Honda 230L had a second set of pegs on it. I can't say that I ever had anyone on the back of that bike, but there was a place for them.