Silly ?, oil cooler for DRZ??

Had this thought yesterday after reading about a Dakar rider that busted his water pump and continued riding as he had a oil cooler. The water pump housing was busted and he plugged it with epoxy and other things.

But anyway. Just curious here, but could one remove one radiator and add an oil cooler and achieve the same amount of cooling while keeping the oil cooler and prolonging oil life???

..or keeping both radiators and adding an oil cooler???? Seems like cooling the oil would be a very good thing!!!

so what are the "experts" thoughts??

Have you ever tried to fit a higher volume or pressure pump

does not exist.

modifying the stock one?

doesnt work that away.

ive seen externally driven pumps used in other apps but really no need a drz for most peoples use. however adding a oil cooler is a bad idea.

I was just curious about it and not seriously considering it, but why is it not advised???? Not enough pressure, I;m sure the oil gets very hot being a thumper and we know how hard DRZ's are on oil wouldn't cooling the oil help some??

Does being a dry sump have anything to do with it? Or lower pressure oiling system???

Edited by One Less Harley

Eddie- could you extrapolate why the oiling system is weak? why adding a HP pump would not work (assume i could machine my own parts to the required tolerances/hardnesses, etc)

I would think it has something to do with the plastic gear (I've lost a bike due to starved oil because a plastic drive gear sheared all it's teeth...eventually i will make a steel one for the drz) or not enough room to modify the housing to fit a larger diameter pump?

I was just curious about it and not seriously considering it, but why is it not advised???? Not enough pressure, I;m sure the oil gets very hot being a thumper and we know how hard DRZ's are on oil wouldn't cooling the oil help some??

Does being a dry sump have anything to do with it? Or lower pressure oiling system???

the oiling system as is can barely pump oil thru the circuit as is. adding a cooler just adds more area to a barely adequate set up.

drz's are not hard on oil because of heat.

Eddie- could you extrapolate why the oiling system is weak? why adding a HP pump would not work (assume i could machine my own parts to the required tolerances/hardnesses, etc)

I would think it has something to do with the plastic gear (I've lost a bike due to starved oil because a plastic drive gear sheared all it's teeth...eventually i will make a steel one for the drz) or not enough room to modify the housing to fit a larger diameter pump?

half of the pump housing is the crank case it self.

the only way to increase the volume and pressure is to spin the pump faster. there are 3 gears that need to be made including the clutch basket gear. 5 actually if you want to use a kick starter.

then you need to think about if the pump will then move more oil than can be returned to the frame in the same amount of time.

What bike was the Dakar rider on?

Did it already have a dry sump and frame oil tank?

Here in the UK it's difficult to get the oil warm unless it's summer. The frame oil tank must be pretty effective at holding the oil temperature down. I often check the temp of the oil on the dip stick and it's rarely hot. Luckily it must warm up some as it goes through the filter & the first pump.