Sign in to follow this  

Rode a 500 for the first time...

Well yesterday after working my boss / riding buddy and I went to check out a local KX 500 his friend was selling. First of all, the bike was absolutely cherry. No wear on any parts, and it was about a 99. I got on the bike and started it first kick, cold! Not sure what all the fuss is about starting a 500. We both rode it around the parking lot, and the sheer power scared me. I've always wanted to have a 500, but my huevos are not big enough:worthy:. My buddy instantly decided that he was ditching his KLX450 and buying it. A little background on him: He has ridden since the eighties, and his first bike was a KX500 :smirk:

I'm sticking to four fifties, that thing scared the crap out of me!

My Dad and I picked up an '89 CR500 this summer. Man what a fun bike to ride. Although right now it's going through the conversion to being a permanent ice racing machine. Funny thing was once my Dad jumped on the CR500, he didn't really feel like taking the YZ250 back out again all year. He may of been a bit slower, but I think he was having more fun riding the monster around.

Do you still have it??
I wish I did just for the nastelgia,I mainly rode big bores until the mid 90s..That one I bought brand new in 85 for $2400:smirk:..as much as I have good memories about those days..I imagine hopping on one today after riding the modern stuff I'd say "How the hell did I ride this thing?:smirk:'..the Service honda stuff looks sweat,I'd love to try one with the modern suspension and chassis..But to own one you need the space to ride them..back then we had allot of places to play ride in the golden horseshoe..If we had those places today there would be a David Bailey replica in my garage..But we're sort of limited to track riding and racing around here now..and mostly hardpack to boot

Compared to a modern 4t the old 500s are low rpm diesels. You ride it like you normally do and think, holy crap! Your brain says woah its pulling like crazy at only 3000 rpms! but you haven't yet adjusted to the fact that 3000rpms is already about halfway through your usable rev range. The power is actually similar to a 450 if both are stock, just compressed over a tighter range. Course the common basic mods can get them to 65hp and then they do indeed feel a lil more scary lol.

Compared to a modern 4t the old 500s are low rpm diesels. You ride it like you normally do and think, holy crap! Your brain says woah its pulling like crazy at only 3000 rpms! but you haven't yet adjusted to the fact that 3000rpms is already about halfway through your usable rev range. The power is actually similar to a 450 if both are stock, just compressed over a tighter range. Course the common basic mods can get them to 65hp and then they do indeed feel a lil more scary lol.
That 85 was on its last Wiesco oversize when I sold it..It would come up in 5th at low revs like it was in first and it pulled to the moon,I would love to have a SMed 500 on the street.:smirk: