Sign in to follow this  

bike too small, need advice

Have a 2001 KDX200R with techcare suspension set up for a 5'8 rider, 180 pound rider. Worked great for a year or so but but my football playing son keeps growing. He has now grown up to be 6'1" and 250 pounds (he's 15) and maybe still growing. Obviously, the bike just isn't working for him, We only trail ride and my question is do I sell it and buy another or rebuild it.....was thinking of pulling front and rear suspension and sending to tech care but will this resolve problems ? It's currently shorter and way softer than my EXC 250 or my other kid's CR125. Can that stuff be fixed ? Techcare quoted me about $500 and I will replace the clutch this off season as well so probably dump $750 or so into it.

How does he feel about the bike ? Does he like the power of it or does he want more ? Trails only or any mx ?

Im thinking at your sons size, he's pretty much outgrown that bike. If he like two stroke trail bikes, rmx250's and wr250's still are good bikes.

he's OK with any bike....never really complains and says the size is OK. I just know when I ride it, it seems way shorter than my KTM or my son's CR 125. Can the ride height be set higher when I have the suspension redone ?

The suspension will sit up better, but at 500 bucks, its money you will never get back.

Im thinking at your sons size, he's pretty much outgrown that bike. If he like two stroke trail bikes, rmx250's and wr250's still are good bikes.

That KDX is as good as either the RMX or WR... I think what he's saying is the suspension has been lowered for a shorter rider. If thats the case YES it can be fixed but at 250lbs I'd think he need a little more bike like your EXC sprung to fit his weight. The KDX's are a easy sale....