Sign in to follow this  

spoke issue...

hi all, got all my wheel parts together finally, started assembling my rear wheel first, consisting of a talon hub mated to an excel rim. lacing together with bulldog spokes. ok, heres the issue...the spokes are too long. by that i mean they are snugged up to the end of the spoke thread and are still loose. my question is whether the bike shop supplied the wrong spoke lengths or im doing something wrong, which i very much doubt....any thoughts??

Did you put the right spokes in the right place? Spokes aren't all the same length on a wheel. You have to put each in the right place.

i checked that too, on tt and a few other forums. everything is right except the spoke length. seems odd that they hang out about an inch further through the rim. and thats all of the spokes.

i'll see if i can post a pic up for confirmation. the hub guided the spokes fairly accurately to where they have to be on the rim and i checked them against the rear rim currently on the bike, and they match. one thing i did notice is that the oem spokes on the bike are touching against each other as they cross and they dont on the new one, theres clearance.

Talon hubs use shorter spokes than OEM.

Did you get the Bulldog spokes for an OEM hub?

I have a set of front spokes for a Talon hub & a Honda 21" front rim if it's what you need.

see these threads for more info & check the Talon charts I posted there:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.

question for a buddy - talon hub help needed

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.

Special Spokes for Talon Hubs??????

That is a giveaway the cross is wrong. When lacing, the nipples have to be real loose (like just a single turn on). Twist the hub, put in spokes facing the opposite direction. Then tighten 1 turn at at time until the threads just disappear, then in 1/4 turn increments.

An inner and an outer on the same flange typically are nearly straight to one another.

thanks for those pics guys, very helpful. tried to put up a pic but dont have either an account or membership so i;ll send via email if youre interested in viewing. thanks for all the replies too.

looked at those diagrams and instructions. helpful but doesnt list spoke lengths for the DR-Z. if i knew what the lengths were i'd be able to tell straight away if the ones i have are too long..i'll keep searching google to find them. any suggestions to where id find them?