Sign in to follow this  

CR250R Suspension Upgrade Questions

I just picked up an '03 CR250R that I plan on upgrading the suspension on. Going with latest gen RaceTech Gold Valves in the forks & shock. Has anyone replaced the twin chamber pressure springs in the forks? What RaceTech recommends is softer than stock which they claim gives it a plusher ride. Makes sense but who has done it? At the rear, has anyone added the rebound separator valve in place of the nut? Both of these mods aren't very expensive but I'd like some feedback from someone who has done them.

Tackling the work is no big deal. I've already replaced the fork seals & bushings and will get new seals for the shock. What else should I be on the lookout for? Is replacing the bump stop easy since I'll have the shock apart? I have no idea as to the usage on the shock and I want to do it right.

Thanks....

Previously had type 1 gvs in my 03 cr250 for vet mx. It was a nice set up. Eventually had factory connection on a second set of suspension. I do have lighter ics springs but since it's not rt pistons and valving it's not a fair comparison to your set up. I change the shock shaft bushing with each seal change, last time the rt bushing was 1-2 mm taller than the stock bushing, so if you order one make sure to compare sizes. Rt bushing drivers are nice.. You can also get a complete after market seal head assembly, but I've never used one so can't give it any real feedback.

I have heard good things about the separator valve nut, but never tried one. I would think if they really were the ticket all the big name tuners would be on it?

I just picked up an '03 CR250R that I plan on upgrading the suspension on. Going with latest gen RaceTech Gold Valves in the forks & shock. Has anyone replaced the twin chamber pressure springs in the forks? What RaceTech recommends is softer than stock which they claim gives it a plusher ride. Makes sense but who has done it? At the rear, has anyone added the rebound separator valve in place of the nut? Both of these mods aren't very expensive but I'd like some feedback from someone who has done them.

Tackling the work is no big deal. I've already replaced the fork seals & bushings and will get new seals for the shock. What else should I be on the lookout for? Is replacing the bump stop easy since I'll have the shock apart? I have no idea as to the usage on the shock and I want to do it right.

Thanks....

If you really want to make that bike great go get newer Showas from 02 up. Forget about the early forks they are a joke,everything about them stinks compared to the newer forks. That bike with updated front will be real good.

Previously had type 1 gvs in my 03 cr250 for vet mx. It was a nice set up. Eventually had factory connection on a second set of suspension. I do have lighter ics springs but since it's not rt pistons and valving it's not a fair comparison to your set up. I change the shock shaft bushing with each seal change, last time the rt bushing was 1-2 mm taller than the stock bushing, so if you order one make sure to compare sizes. Rt bushing drivers are nice.. You can also get a complete after market seal head assembly, but I've never used one so can't give it any real feedback.

I have heard good things about the separator valve nut, but never tried one. I would think if they really were the ticket all the big name tuners would be on it?

Thanks for the tips. :smirk: I have a buddy who has a bike shop where I get my stuff from. He has sold a few sets of the separator valve nut and had also heard that the customers liked it but nothing specific. That's why I was asking and trying to find someone who has done them.

If you really want to make that bike great go get newer Showas from 02 up. Forget about the early forks they are a joke,everything about them stinks compared to the newer forks. That bike with updated front will be real good.

It's an '03. :bonk:

No problem. I appreciate you posting up trying to help. :smirk:

I'm actually running a set of '98 tubes & triples. I found a bent tube after I got the bike and had the other forks available to me. Someone else also recommended using the later cartridges which I did.