Sign in to follow this  

Iridium spark plug

has anyone out there fitted an ngk iridium spark plug to theyre DR-Z 400? i've heard that it causes problems with the bike.

Mine has had one for three years. Not sure what kind of problem it could cause, but my bike hasn't run that much either.

thats what i was thinking too, apparently they run hot or something, also heard they damage ignition parts like pulser coils and the like.

On modern autos and trucks that have computer engine management systems, aftermarket spark plugs can cause the vehicle to run poorly and the computer to throw codes. I experienced it twice on a GMC truck. May not be a problem on motorcycles but if you change to plugs not specified by the manufacturer and the bike soon starts to act up, it's probably the plugs.

id have thought that a better plug would produce a better spark enabling better combustion and power. it hurts my brain to think about how it would be detrimental to engine performance! i'll give it a try anyway and report back when i ride next.

Iridium is used because it of its metalurgical characteristics. It is both dense and hard, and that means that spark erosion of the metal occurs more slowly than other commonly used metals. It doesn't make a better spark, it makes the spark plug perform more consistently over time.

There are a lot more characteristics to a spark plug than the metal used in the electrodes, and apparently in some vehicles the computer and software can tell the difference. My GMC threw codes with one aftermarket plug, I changed to another aftermarket plug and it threw codes again, and then I went to the factory specified plug and it never threw a code ever again.

Some cars and bikes nowadays sense the voltage used to fire the plug to determine engine load thus eliminating the need for airflow meters and map sensors putting the wrong plug in can cause all kinds of strange things ...most brands use iridiums just for the long lasting characteristics .. Things like the v6 Toyota camery use normal plugs in the front bank and iridiums in the rear bank as to change the rear plugs you have to drop the engine forward

Things like the v6 Toyota camery use normal plugs in the front bank and iridiums in the rear bank as to change the rear plugs you have to drop the engine forward

This why I stick with inline 6's:thumbsup:

I bought my drz with an iridium plug already fitted, since then I did approx 10,000 km with that plug, changed it to a new iridium plug, and have approx 5,000 km on the new plug.

The old plug looked in very good condition when I changed it.

Never had a problem with the iridium plugs.

I have a few thousand miles on my DRZ and my wifes KLX 250 with Iridiums and havent had a problem. I also have 48,000 miles on my Street bike 2008 FJR 1300 and have been running Iridiums on that bike since 500 miles. :smirk:

I think most manufacturers say 100,000 k or 60,000 miles from iridiums in multi cylinder use

There are no issues with running iridium plugs in a DRZ400...end of story..

Well, the only issue(s) I've had with the Iridium plugs, is that my DR-Z only allows me to run iridium plugs in it.:lo::banghead.

This is the 2nd iridium plug I've had in my my bike. This one was removed 1 1/2 weeks ago with just a little under 9k miles on it.

ngk8k2.jpg

ngk8k.jpg

i have had the same iridium plug for 6 years. they last longer. it works just fine and looks a lot better than the one pictured above.