Sign in to follow this  

The Xl, Xl 250R Hp Through The Years

Ive' been looking up the hp of the 250"s over the years and it seems pretty inconsistant. I'm not sure if it's because of different compression ratios, intake and exhaust restrictions over time or just different benchmarks that are being used. From what I have read the dual carb rfvc motor had a 10% increase of compression over the single non rfvc one. Ive also read my 87 dual carb model put out 27 hp stock compared to a stock XR400 at 30 HP. That can't be right... right?

Torque is more important than peak hp numbers. A XR650L is only rated right at about 30 hp stock. If you tried a drag race with you 27hp 250, the 650 would completely smoke it. Why? Because the 650 has monster torque just off idle.

The dual carb XR's/XL's were rated about 10% higher across the line. The highest hp rating for the entire XR/XL line was for the original 83 XL600.

I think that the 27hp rating for the 87 might also be stretched a bit for marketing purposes.

Ya gotta remember that any numbers from Honda pass thru the PR and Marketing departments, and get massaged before publication, and will be crank HP for marketing reasons.

Aftermarket numbers can be suspect because of the type of dyno used and corrections factors applied or mis-applied.

what are you going to make of this information,

once you know which XR250 stock had the most horsepower?

does it matter? They will all be between 24-27hp from the factory. far cry from the CRF-R models.