Sign in to follow this  

91 xr250L- Life or Death

I guess the title says it all. I bought a 91 xr250L that was chugging, smoking and knocking.

She was close to death, thats for sure so I took it all apart with the intention to rebuild and yes, it's a basket case at this point.

It was the most I have ever paid for a bike[$300] in this bad of shape so I'm on the edge if I should part it out[ Flea Bay it] or keep spending money/time to make it run .

Needs a frame paint job

Needs a complete head rebuild

Needs a piston/rings Lower end is disassembled and all looks good

Needs a new seat

Needs engine rebuild gasket set

Needs a muffler old one is to far gone

Needs tires

I have always been a restorer so has anyone here parted out any bikes , and how much can you make and how much crap will i have laying around forever????

Well, if your looking for opinions..... You can probably part the bike out and at least make your money back. If your going to do all that work to the bike you may want to find a more worthy candidate for your money like a xr250r or xl250r. The motor, carb, exhaust set up is considered kind of weak compared to the 90 and older 250's.But it's your money and you may see more potential in it than another person. It does have the front and rear disc brakes and the wider front forks so maybe it could turn out to be a good bike for your needs.

what do you mean "more worthy candidate for your money like a xr250r or xl250r"

Believe me, I'm not new at this XR rebuild stuff, I just haven't parted out anything before and this bike looks like a wash as far money spent on parts and what I could get for it.

I have two other bikes in the barn that are on the chopping block also [ road bikes ] so I'm wondering if it makes more sense to start parting out these bikes. I know it's still a lot of work selling stuff on Flea Bay and shipping and all that but I won't have to get my hands dirty.

I just don't want a bunch of miscellaneous bike parts in the barn forever, I can't throw anything away, I'm a motorcycle parts hoarder.

Bikes099.jpg

Parting out sucks, especially these days. (unless you have a desirable)

I never thought running to UPS was any big deal until I had to do it 50 times.

Sometimes for a $10 part. :bonk:

Believe me, I'm not new at this XR rebuild stuff, I just haven't parted out anything before and this bike looks like a wash as far money spent on parts and what I could get for it.

I have two other bikes in the barn that are on the chopping block also [ road bikes ] so I'm wondering if it makes more sense to start parting out these bikes. I know it's still a lot of work selling stuff on Flea Bay and shipping and all that but I won't have to get my hands dirty.

I just don't want a bunch of miscellaneous bike parts in the barn forever, I can't throw anything away, I'm a motorcycle parts hoarder.

Bikes099.jpg

If that's it (the first bike in the row), I'll take it please. :smirk: LOL

you will get rid of some stuff quickly

but a lot will not fit XR250R or R owners think the L parts inferior

and you will be stuck with a lot of parts that would probably sell, if they were R

like forks, carb, exhaust, head ...

most L owners change the light to R style because they do not like the rear TV set

or the rigid mount glas headlight, let alone the turn signals

plastics will not fit an R except for the front fender,

seat is different, too

you will need to get lucky or be stuck with quite some parts that will require to find just the right person

nice collection you got there

too bad you are so far away, I'd take the L off your hands and fix it up to keep it

I would say fix it up. Street legal dual sports from the factory are getting rare and most states are cracking down on conversions. so they will get more valuable with time.

True to form I have dug around and found a lot of the parts for this bike in my own stash. Better plastics, blinkers, wide screen tail light. I'm just going to keep my eyes out for the top end stuff for now.

My 97 xr400 is getting all the attention for now . I want to have it street legal by spring, maybe even an e-start, and my xr250 needs tires, It never ends but I keep throwing more on the table. Just bought a 80 Yamaha 750 Special for 100 bucks.

you will get rid of some stuff quickly

but a lot will not fit XR250R or R owners think the L parts inferior

and you will be stuck with a lot of parts that would probably sell, if they were R

like forks, carb, exhaust, head ...

most L owners change the light to R style because they do not like the rear TV set

or the rigid mount glas headlight, let alone the turn signals

plastics will not fit an R except for the front fender,

seat is different, too

you will need to get lucky or be stuck with quite some parts that will require to find just the right person

nice collection you got there

too bad you are so far away, I'd take the L off your hands and fix it up to keep it

I sold that L and most of those bikes , that picture was last winters projects.

This winter, 94 harley FXDL low rider for sale , 91 xr250L in baskets & for sale , 97- xr250r running, 97-xr400r running, 02-xr250r running for sale, 80 Yamaha 750 needs TLC for sale, 91 KDX 250, needs work

I would like to try a Suzuki DRZ400 next summer, I'm looking.

Plus

Bikes099.jpg

I see a new reality tv series on the horizon :smirk:

LOL

Seriously , No . This is just a hobby that gets a little out of control sometimes. I'm a builder/remodeler/ finish carpenter and as you all know the building business is a little screwed up right now to put it nicely. I have a full and well stocked wood shop out back that would make any man cry but the bikes are a total change up from saw dust for me, keeps me Shane. Thats probably the opposite from most people but it works. Thinking about making a wooden motorcycle, an XR woody. I have most of a xr400 engine so we will see, that would freak out my wife.