CURRENT Colorado MX track conditions

If by "one of the slower guys", you mean "the slowest guy", then yes that's me.

I took a pretty big spill and am struggling today. I have a feeling I am going to need to take it easy for a couple weeks. I will post up next time I head out.

4-8-12

Sweeney Cycle Park - Brush

Perfect, as usual, wish they could have practice days at least once a month.

b

X2 that track and the dirt is sweet. Today was perfect weather. Nice to see them split the practice - A/B, C, little bikes. That first hour was crazy with the A riders at noon. Some real fast guys!. Also, amazing how fast some of those little guys go! Hats off to Matt and Suzy!

• 2 weeks later...

No, the table is still there. We have added 3000 yards of sand to the track this week though and have another 10000 yards in storage and will be getting another 5000-8000 yards next week. The track this weekend will be excellent as 70% of the track has new sand and the other 30% was still good.

Edited by IMI MOTORSPORTS

STOP! Don't waste your time or money. Went to thunder valley yesterday, worst dirt i have ever seen on a moto track. Softball to bowling ball size dirt clods! Rocks everywhere! Only did 15 laps on a new set of mx 51's. Tires look like I rode 100 miles in the mountains.

• Like 1

STOP! Don't waste your time or money. Went to thunder valley yesterday, worst dirt i have ever seen on a moto track. Softball to bowling ball size dirt clods! Rocks everywhere! Only did 15 laps on a new set of mx 51's. Tires look like I rode 100 miles in the mountains.

What is going on with that place? They used to take excellent care of the place.

Hit Watkins 4/21/12 (son won a free weekend there so we went)

Temp was 70-75?

Breezy in the morning, but 11am it was calm and one of the best days at that place in a long time.

All the moisture they have had came up well when they tilled and they threw water down and it was good! They ripped again around noon and it was good. They fixed some of the sections but others are still in need of attention. All in all it was a great day out there.

Watkins

4-22-12 Sunday

temp 75

No very crowded late on a Sunday. Maybe 15 guys on big track and 10 on intermediate. Most people starting to clear out.

Didn't get there till 2:30. They watered right after we arrived and the big track was pretyy good. Did a few laps in the intermedidate with my son until he had a get off. That was pretty much the end of his day. Went back and did a few more laps on big track and it was pretty good. A few sections on the east side could be worked.

As for the intermediate track, while they did some work on it, that thing is like ice. Dust on top of hard pack. Not very safe. Some of the landings like on the little double in the middle are just terrible.

Too bad my son had the get off or I was going to put him on the big track. Not too many riders around 4:30. Much safer and better dirt for him. After riding Brush/Sweney Cyle two weeks ago, he is spoiled.

Rode watkins today, 4/22/12. About the same time as yzriley, I got there at about 2 and rode until 5.

Big track was fair. They watered when I was there and it helped a lot.

Theirs plenty of hardpack on straight sections that needs cut, I headshake bad in spots.

I was there, too. What is their deal?! Last month I was there and it was complete opposite: over-watered with ruts you pegs would get caught in. It's either too much water or bone dry.

the tiller is broken and they have yet to fix it. I stopped going there after the last SRAC race. While other tracks continue to improve, Thunder Valley keeps getting worse and worse. I will not be going back until the tiller is fixed.

I rode IMI on Sat 4/21. As stated above they have added new sand and also reshaped a lot of the jumps/landings. They watered all day and were removing rocks off the track. The track was super fun!!!

I rode berthoud on Sun 4/22. They have also added new dirt. Track was a lot better with the new dirt, just wish they would change the layout once in a while. They prepped at 12 and again at 3.

Edited by cjmx

Date- 4-22-12

Track- Thunder valley

Approx air temp- 80

Did they groom and/or water when you were there?- yes once in the morning once and noon

Was it busy when you were there?- track was full but nothing crazy

Was the track changed up at all?- yes new finish line jump and a few other changes in the back

Notes- Best i have ever ridden. The tiller is still broken but they are doing a fine job with track prep. Watering by hand and with sprinklers.

Date- 4-26-12

Track- Thunder valley

Approx air temp- 70

Did they groom and/or water when you were there?- No, the sprinkler system was broken (again).

Was it busy when you were there?- No, it was deserted.

Was the track changed up at all?- Uphill next to shooting range has been slightly revised to an inferior configuration. Otherwise, the track is the same as it's been.

Notes- Worst conditions I have seen at Lakewood for a while. The supplemental dirt is completely gone now and the track surface is back to the original rocky/dusty base dirt. I won't be riding there again until they lay down some new dirt and stabilize the sprinkler system. Hopefully after the nationals things will be better - they have some work to do!!

• Like 1

Date- 4-26-12

Track- Thunder valley

Approx air temp- 70

Did they groom and/or water when you were there?- No, the sprinkler system was broken (again).

Was it busy when you were there?- No, it was deserted.

Was the track changed up at all?- Uphill next to shooting range has been slightly revised to an inferior configuration. Otherwise, the track is the same as it's been.

Notes- Worst conditions I have seen at Lakewood for a while. The supplemental dirt is completely gone now and the track surface is back to the original rocky/dusty base dirt. I won't be riding there again until they lay down some new dirt and stabilize the sprinkler system. Hopefully after the nationals things will be better - they have some work to do!!

They have like like a month and 3 days. Wonder if they will come through?

Next weekend is an LL qualifier and SRAC event. I guess it's possible they will start laying down some of the new dirt before then, but I'm skeptical that they'll do much until a week or two before the nationals. Until then, I'll stick to IMI. Those guys have been doing an awesome job with track prep.

• 2 weeks later...

Date- 5/5/12

Track- Aztec Family Raceway

Approx air temp- low 80s, sunny, light breeze

Did they groom and/or water when you were there?- no grooming, but watered several times

Was it busy when you were there?- no more than a dozen people on the track at a given time

Was the track changed up at all?- not sure, haven't been in a while and they're constantly adding/removing sections of it

Notes- dirt wasn't tilled that deep so it was slicker than snot when they would water, which seemed often. it was a nice day out with no crowd. some of the jumps could use some work.

Edited by RedRider31

Date- 5/5/12

Track- Aztec Family Raceway

Approx air temp- low 80s, sunny, light breeze

Did they groom and/or water when you were there?- no grooming, but watered several times

Was it busy when you were there?- no more than a dozen people on the track at a given time

Was the track changed up at all?- not sure, haven't been in a while and they're constantly adding/removing sections of it

Notes- dirt wasn't tilled that deep so it was slicker than snot when they would water, which seemed often. it was a nice day out with no crowd. some of the jumps could use some work.

Who were you out there? I was out there with a few buds and my son. We parked in between the two trees

We were parked on the north side of the parking lot, by the bleachers and the runup to the finish line jump. I was going really slow on #407 CRF 450; buddies were on #121 CRF 450 and #115 YZ 450

Thats cool, we are slow too, some of those doubles are not fun to case, I love the south section of that track though. I was on a suzuki 450 no numbers. I thought it was a great day over all, love the track. They really should have stopped watering a couple of corners though.