Purchasing new boots....Alpinestars vs. Gaerne vs. Sidi

So ever since I started riding a dirtbike I've only used Alpinestars Tech 8's. I've gone through about 3 pairs of them, but I'm considering other options for my next set. I have loved the Tech 8's since the first pair I've owned because they are comfortable, durable, good feeling on the shifter and brake and most of all they do a great job of protecting me in the woods. From some research and what I have read, all of the boots I am considering seem to be the top picks overall. I realize all of the boots I'm considering have a hefty price tag, so without price being a factor I would love to know what you guys think about these...Pro's/Con's or anything in general. Please keep in mind that I am mainly a woods rider.

These are my considerations

-Alpinestars Tech 7/Tech 8....I love the tech 8's, but how do the 7's compare?

-Gaerne SG 10/SG 12....are the SG 12's worth the extra $100?

-SIDI Crossfire TA

Thanks for the help.

for my $ i went with the sg10's $312 shipped to my door, very nice boot, great protection. and a pivot hinge to make it easy for braking,shifting, and walking. the boot is very comfortable

I went from astars to crossfire ta's and will never go back. Great boots, Broken-in right out of the box, NO STUPID BOOTIES. Never tried the gaerne's but always hear nice things about them as well.

I have worn Gaerne SG10's for 3 season's of off road racing,Never had anything break,fall off,fail on these boot's,in one word,BULLETPROOF!!! That being said i was givin a set of SG12's for the coming season,I have worn them about 5 time's,Totaly love em,I havent had em long enough to say how they will last or anything else about the durability of em,but so far they are my favorite boot's ever!!The fit and finish on em is just top notch,they fit my skinny leg's alot better than the SG10's do.Im 6'2" and 165 and love the SG12's,they just fit me a little better than the 10's did.IMHO the Gaerne boot's are by far the best boot's out there.I belive where they are made has alot to do with that.....Just sayin.

These are my considerations

-Alpinestars Tech 7/Tech 8....I love the tech 8's, but how do the 7's compare?

-Gaerne SG 10/SG 12....are the SG 12's worth the extra $100?

-SIDI Crossfire TA

Gaerne's are cut somewhat wide, and Alpinestars and Sidis are cut narrow. Gaerne's are also cut with a huge calf area. If you foot is narrow and/or your calf is thin, I'd go with Sidi. If you have a big calf and/or a wider foot, go with the Gaerne. No comment on the SG12 - I have SG10s and they are the nicest boots I've owned.

JayC

Thanks guys!! This feedback is awesome, keep it coming!

Gaerne's are cut somewhat wide, and Alpinestars and Sidis are cut narrow. Gaerne's are also cut with a huge calf area. If you foot is narrow and/or your calf is thin, I'd go with Sidi. If you have a big calf and/or a wider foot, go with the Gaerne. No comment on the SG12 - I have SG10s and they are the nicest boots I've owned.

JayC

That is a helpful tip. I wear a size 13 and my feet are wide, but I've never had a problem with my Tech 8's. It might just be I am used to them so they don't bother me, but for all I know I will be much better off with the Gaerne's. My decision is still way up in the air...all of this is very helpful though

Love my SG12's. The gel pack around the ankle gives a custom fit every time. SUPER comfortable and extremely good protection.

Hey customss

Where did u get sg10s for $312???

Just to throw an extra variable in there check these out. If I had not just had the soles replaced on my Tech 8's I would jumped on these. Lots of replaceable parts, low toe profile and very comfy And cheaper than all of those you listed.

http://www.jettboots.com/

See if you can't talk to Rick Smith. I believe he is the owner operator.

Cool.

there have been some less than stellar reviews of the jett boots on here, wear problems I believe, search the forums for info on them

I almost bought a pair, I'm going with gaerne sg1's isntead I like the classic simple boots, less parts to fail

I just re-searched Jett boots on TT. The First 5 posts I looked at on them where all positive. Pretty sure Jett has recently updated the boot. Anyway, I really liked the feel. Very light and also very easy to in and out of. There you go. I have never tested SG's or Sidi either.

Hey customss

Where did u get sg10s for $312???

I got mine from Extreme Supply for $319

I love my SG10's. Best boot I've ever owned. IMO there's no reason to put up with alpinestars boots and all their issues.

I recently bought the SIDI Crossfire SRS for $430.00 and I absolutely them. They fit like a new running shoe and give me great confidence in their ability to protect. I read a lot of feedback in forums and purchase reviews and once I tried them on I was sold. I tried to get a pair of Tech 10's on and I struggled with a size 11 before giving up. I am a size 10. I got a pair of Tech 8's on but did not like them at all. They felt to me like I would have to go through blisters and general growing pains before they fit ok. I did not try on the Gaerne's. In all the research I did the vast majority raved about the Gaernes and the SIDI's and Alpinetsars where not quite in the same league.

Well i recently was in the same situation as you i never owned a high quality pair of boots just thor quadrants and i was between the tech 7s and the garene G react boots so i went and test fitted them and the gaerne were way more comftorbale compared to the alpinestars the gaernes seemed like they would need little break in time and seemd a lil better quality also the gaernes do run a lil wider witch was perfect for me..and the best part was i ended up getting last years model sg-10s for 240 :smirk: and they are amazing. the gaernes seemed to run more true to size and i would recomed the sg-10s..but with all that being said i would try them all out if you get the chance and see what one fits you best imo there all good boots it just comes down to a prefrence

I have crossfires. Absolutely amazing. So comfortable and every part is replaceable. The sole takes about 10 seconds to replace. They fit like a glove and have a low toebox so they are great for shifting. A little bit more flex than other boots (forward and back) due to the hinge which might be a problem if you hit bug jumps (for woods they rock). I would buy another pair in a heartbeat even tho this pair will probably last me forever.

I have the garnae react boots, which i would have to say i love. the price was right too!

I just bought a pair of SG10's off of a guy on craigs list. Sounds gross huh? But they were basically spotless. Haven't ridden in them yet but they're super comfortable walking around. They are a size 13. I normally wear a 12 but these fit reasonably well and the price was so good I couldn't pass it up.

So yeah, another vote for SG10s

Another vote for the SG10. The boots are super comfortable and very durable. I wear an 11 shoe, and the 11 boots fit me perfect. I like the wider calf area, it leaves more room for my knee braces. I bought the boots 2 Octobers ago and not a single failure or broken part. The hinged design is great for shifting and braking.

No input on the SG12, never tried them, but the extra money didn't seem worth it to me when reading the list of "upgrades". I have tried on the AStar Tech 8, but I wasn't a huge fan to be honest. Not nearly as comfortable as my SG10.

Man..all of these posts are like a textbook of information. At this point I'm going to say another pair of AStars is out of the question. I've given them a good ride, but from what I'm hearing I'm missing out on something better. From what you guys have told me, I'm torn between the SG-10's and the Crossfires. I looked into the Jett Boots, but I think due to the amt. of information I've recieved regarding the Gaerne's and Sidi's I'll probably go with one of those. I really do appreciate all the information you guys have provided, but what someone tells you and personal opinion are two different things. I'm just hoping I can find a shop locally that has these boots in stock so I can try them on to get some insight of my own.