Sign in to follow this  

Clutch issue, I need a hand.....

Hi guys.

Here is my problem, I have a 07 kx250f and love it. It shifts up and down perfectly, the problem is that in any gear if I would to just let off the gas the bike would slow down but once at idle speed it just keeps chuckin on down the road like a auto trans with not input from throttle. If I pull in the clutch it will release and come to stop. Ive ruled out clutch cable, Throttle has more than enough free play, Basket, down stem, push rod, bearing, HUB, replaced plates and springs with dirt digger kit, Tried non synthetic oils and the results are always the same as above. I can go all he way in or out on lever free play and its still the same. I think it has somthing to do with the washers on the clutch push rod and bearing holder, under the clutch pressure plate.

Now I know there is a measurement to be taken on the cable end on the engine side from the down stem to the cable clamp thing under the timing tensioner. And according to my manual I'm exactly were I should be. So what now?

It seems The clutch pressure plate is just not applying enough pressure on the clutch basket to bring it to a stop on its own in gear. But does that mean I should removed a washer or add one? I think remove, but Im not sure.

Ive never had to mess with these washers under the pressure plate on any bikes ive owned so its new to me but I think this is were the problem lies. Any tips would be great.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I misread you or not..But if the bike is in gear at idle, its going to move, or die depending on gear...

I'm not sure if I misread you or not..But if the bike is in gear at idle, its going to move, or die depending on gear...

Exactly!

ya im with you, idk if you wrote it wrong or i read it wrong but it sounds like your bike is doing just what its supposed to do...

ya im with you, idk if you wrote it wrong or i read it wrong but it sounds like your bike is doing just what its supposed to do...

sorry for the confusion, let me try to clarify. For example, I fire the bike up, place it in first gear and take off, then I let off gas completly and and dont touch the clutch, so clutch is engaged and trans in still in first. Bike will not die or come to a stop it will slow to about 7 mph and keep on crawling forever on down the road, like cruze control. I can just lay both my hands on my sides and in any gear putt along forever down the road (not normal) . Much like if you were to place your car in "D" and idle on down the road with no input to throttle. If I pull in the clutch it does disengage and will come to a stop. Does that make any more sense? I wish you could just ride it so you knew what i ment lol.

well i know exactly what you mean but thats how its supposed to run. if its going a little too fast you might have your idle a little high, or your throttle cable might be too tight but other than that, sounds perfectly normal.

Is this thread a joke or something? What exactly have your other bikes done while doing that? Is this bike supposed to have a rekluse or some other kind of auto clutch?

• Like 1

well i know exactly what you mean but thats how its supposed to run. if its going a little too fast you might have your idle a little high, or your throttle cable might be too tight but other than that, sounds perfectly normal.

No, Idle has been set with tach and cable has free play. Ive owned 5 other bikes 2 as of now, 1 street bike, all die when you dont give them gas in gear and clutch engaged. its like the clutch slips just enough to never stall out, and no this bike has no auto clutch system of any kind.

No, Idle has been set with tach and cable has free play. Ive owned 5 other bikes 2 as of now, 1 street bike, all die when you dont give them gas in gear and clutch engaged. its like the clutch slips just enough to never stall out, and no this bike has no auto clutch system of any kind.

Does the clutch slip when you are accelerating? If the clutch is slipping just a little bit at idle in 1st gear, I would think it would slip alot under hard acceleration. In your 1st post you were wondering about the washers on the push rod. In the manual it gives a table with how to measure the clutch linkage arm and the amount of washers. Depending on the thickness of your plates you could have a 1mm, or a 1.5mm or 2 ea 1mm washers. When I replaced the plates in my bike, it seemed that one combination was not enough and the other too much. Mine will creep quite a bit in 1st gear and the clutch in. I would take a look and measure the thickness of your washers and start there. Good luck.

Does the clutch slip when you are accelerating? If the clutch is slipping just a little bit at idle in 1st gear, I would think it would slip alot under hard acceleration. In your 1st post you were wondering about the washers on the push rod. In the manual it gives a table with how to measure the clutch linkage arm and the amount of washers. Depending on the thickness of your plates you could have a 1mm, or a 1.5mm or 2 ea 1mm washers. When I replaced the plates in my bike, it seemed that one combination was not enough and the other too much. Mine will creep quite a bit in 1st gear and the clutch in. I would take a look and measure the thickness of your washers and start there. Good luck.

thats not his problem. he is saying when he is in gear and doesnt have the clutch pulled in at all the bike is going

Ok ill do that. Your problem is a bit diffrent from mine but I think cuased by the same thing and not having the correct size washer in there. Like I said though according to the manual my measurement is spot on to what i should be, looks like i need to play with the washers a bit. I just hate having to drain oil multiple times until I figure the combo that works. I thought I was headed in the right direction. Thanks Ill post back when i know more.

to the above post, yes its not the same but the bike will only keep going if deceling. If I placed it in gear and just dropped the clutch with no gas it will die as it should. I know it sounds crazy and it is, I never delt with somthing like this lol... If I knew that too many or to large of a washer would cuase it to slip or vice versa then I would know what to do.

dude im sorry but your bike is completely fine so your just wasting time, i have a brand spanking new clutch complete everything with zero hours on it, its works awesome and perfectly and ill post a video tomorrow, it does the same thing. ill try to break it down, coming from a kid that somewhat new to how a clutch works. when you start and put it in gear, pull in the clutch rev up the rpms and let it out slowly, i think the reason you do this is because enganging the motor to the bike moving with you on it puts pressure on the motor and it wants to die, but if the bike is already moving there isnt as much pressure on the motor because your already moving, therefor the motor wont die...

i know im somewhat close but thats just from a normal person thatt does his own works' perspective.

My bike will idle around in 1st all day long. It just has alot of bottom end so it doesn't stall out. Also instead of draining your oil gently lean the bike over so the oil runs to the other side just enough to pull the cover. And If you add another set of washers to your clutch springs that would essentially give you a "stiffer" spring, but im sure there is nothing wrong with it. Its just how it is.

could very well be "how it is" But why im here is cuz no other bike I have or had has ever done this. My yz426 had tons of bottom, blew the doors off the 250f but it never acted this way, my sv650 has way more bottom it does not act this way, My buddies 07 crf250r does not act this way, my cr125 does not act this way. Im not crazy I swear lol. I know how a clutch works on a manual trans bike, thus my confusion.... Thanks for tip on the oil drain ill try that, but I dont think it will work becuase to change washers on the push rod you must remove the clutch pressure plate. The dirt digger kit came with stiffer springs as well so I dont think it will need any washers to the clutch springs, clutch pull is good.

Edited by cycometto

What happends when you have the bike in gear and you hold the rear brake without pulling in the clutch lever?

Wow, Dude not sure how you take care of your old bikes[unless they are two strokes] but in 1st gear with clutch lever out and no throttle at correct idle speed it should sustain speed at around what you said 5-7mph.. if you want it to stop moving and die then just turn the idle down to where it stops moving and kills the engine.. There is currently nothing wrong with your bike and your clutch..

same thing for your street bike..

On a side note.. most two strokes will die if idle is set correctly they just don't have enough torque on the lowend to keep the motor running..

I agree with Pr1malr8gw.. Its normal. Your sv650 won't because of taller gearing for street or your idle is real low. My 09 kx250f does this.. I don't have the idle set to low but not super high either..my wifes 07 kx250f did this too... shoot my 08 250sx would do this for a little while...not as good as the good old 4 stroke.. but you can't compare this to your cr125...that won't do it..not enough bottom..your worried about something stupid...ride it and now worry about it..now if it won't stall when you mash the brakes when its in gear and the cluch isn't pulled then you have issues!