Have a Husky te510 '07 am interested in also having a xr400 -

First off thanks for any input.

I have a te510 which I love. Bought it for dez, some forest, occasional street. It has the beans to get out of the way on the street, which is really the only need I have for the power, and rarely, an extreme hill. A few of my friends are older, have XR400's. For the most part where we ride they are plenty fast enough, so the Xr has what I need off road. I don't really dig the kick start only but something I could get used to. What I like is the simplicity. My race days are long past, mostly ride to enjoy scenery, ride itself and company.

I frequently ride long distances off road, away from camp. I've had a few overheating incidents on the Husky, it has some other parts on it that can let you down miles out in the rough. Just a more complex, modern machine with more to go wrong. Buddies have told me for the riding we do the XR's dependability is the only way to go. Stone axe simple. Recently on a long dez ride out of J Valley I found myself carrying lots of water and holding back on drinking some ... in case the Husky needed it. Worrying about your equipment failing and whether you planned for it properly (in this case carrying extra water) cuts into the enjoyment of the ride, you know?

Anyhow my XR400 questions are:

1. What kind of speed can it sustain and still be dirt worthy on stock gearing? Can it run at 55-60 if it had to for a while to connect trails?

2. I've read about various mods for power. Do they affect the longevity of the engine? Mostly carb mods..

3. Most street legal have the Baja Designs kit. Is there a preferred speedo/odo/tac add on kit or do many of these have it?

4. Any obvious things that break and need to be watched?

5. Any signs of excess use/abuse beyond normal bike stuff such as leaks, burning oil, etc?

Thanks,

Chuckster

55 isn't bad with stock gearing, much past that and it's singing pretty good though. If you ride a lot of open stuff you can run a 16 tooth front (+1 tooth over stock) and not loose to much power for the trails. Tight trails you may want to gear down a touch from stock. Either way it's a 5 minute job to switch cs sprocket.

Basic carb, exhaust and intake mods give you 1 or 2 hp more on top but a lot better response down low without making the bike a time bomb. Usually it's the big bore kits with high comp. that cut down on engine life. These bikes are tanks, built tough and to last a long time so even a modded engine is going to outlast the modern designs.

All the updates were done to the XR4 by 1998 I think. Even those were fairly minor so I'd say judge the bike on condition more than age. Don't get me wrong, all years are good so just look for the obvious stuff and you'll be fine.

Get correct springs for your weight (fronts are notoriously soft), set the sag, fill with gas and enjoy it for 15-20 years.

I know where you are coming from. Sitting in my shop is a "like new" 2005 KTM 200EXC fixed up just like I want it. Also in that shop is my 2002 XR400, still waiting to be fixed up just like I want it.

Since I purchased the XR, it has been my goto bike. My KTM has been in the shop sitting mostly. I'll get it out and ride it some and encourage the boys to ride it too, just to keep everything working like it should.

The XR is fun! It is reliable! It is easy to work on! Mine is a breeze to start (even after dropping it). I love it. I want to do a few things to it, mostly cosmetic, since it has more than enough power for me.

I have owned and raced bikes most of my life. I've had some great bikes, including an XR250, XR200 and all of the great race bikes too. I was VERY hesitant to purchase a bike with a radiator and upside-down forks when I got back into it. I did, however, make the purchase on the KTM and haven't been sorry. But it is overkill for what I do now. In fact, both bikes have seen less riding time since I got a mountain bike (bicycle) for my birthday. ?

To answer your questions:

1. I have ridden mine XR in some pretty hot temps at highway speed for several miles (8-10) with no problem.

2. Personally, I feel all one needs to do to the engine is the "Gordon Mods". Those really open up the bike and in no way harm the reliability. In fact it probably increases reliability since, after the mods, it will be jetted properly.

3. At one time I started to make mine street legal, but quickly gave up on it. For one, where I live, it would be too much trouble. For the other, I want an XR650!

4. Make sure the swingarm axle is greased well. The rear suspension links too. Keep the oil & filter changed, keep a clean air filter in it, check the valves and you will mostly be good to go.

I'm sure some of the more experienced XR owners will reply with other things to consider, but this is my experience.

I hope this helps.

hey chuckster

i ride a 97 xr4... funny you mention the TE, a riding mate of mine has the 450... he really likes it... never had an issue i m aware of... another of the group also has an xr4 and another has a drz... all good bikes and different in their own ways.... i also like the pure reliability of the xr, hard to beat... the drz is better for the road and is heavier.... the TE ticks all the boxes and it has the magic button... my mate who owns the TE had an xr as his last bike and told me he d have kept it if it had elec start... occasionally i lust after a ktm or other exotic big thumper but i just don t see it happening... the thought of carrying water for my bike and not to drink is hard to take... a ktm 300 would be nice tho' ?

anyway...

1) - my bike is stock gearing... yesterday i maxed the gps @ 57.4mph... fast enough to link a few miles of trails up here in the sierra... i ride mainly west of tahoe in elev from 3000 - 5 or 6000... i wouldn t want to run it at that speed tho for 20 miles...

2) dunno... from what i ve ready you want to keep comp at 11.1 or under.... no experience here tho... i d do a pumper carb but i don t want to drop the milage..

3) the PO of my bike had an analogue speedo / tripmeter installed ( the circular chrome finished one on the baja designs website)... he did a nice job of the baja designs DS kit... i have since put on a crf front end and have removed the speedo... the new front end has been awesome - im stoked... as for the speedo, now i use a garmin gps... lots of people here use the vapor or the acewell... i looked at the acewell a few of the aussie lads on TT use and it looks real good... more $$ than the vapor but very nice...

4) change the oil, check the valves...

5) look at the general condition of the sellers other bikes, cars and the condition of his house or workshop... thats how i buy used gear... CA plated xr4s seem to go for 2 - 3000... not alot of $$ for what you get...

good luck with your decision

I have a te510 which I love. Bought it for dez, some forest, occasional street. It has the beans to get out of the way on the street, which is really the only need I have for the power, and rarely, an extreme hill. A few of my friends are older, have XR400's. For the most part where we ride they are plenty fast enough, so the Xr has what I need off road. I don't really dig the kick start only but something I could get used to. What I like is the simplicity. My race days are long past, mostly ride to enjoy scenery, ride itself and company.

I frequently ride long distances off road, away from camp. I've had a few overheating incidents on the Husky, it has some other parts on it that can let you down miles out in the rough. Just a more complex, modern machine with more to go wrong. Buddies have told me for the riding we do the XR's dependability is the only way to go. Stone axe simple. Recently on a long dez ride out of J Valley I found myself carrying lots of water and holding back on drinking some ... in case the Husky needed it. Worrying about your equipment failing and whether you planned for it properly (in this case carrying extra water) cuts into the enjoyment of the ride, you know?

1. What kind of speed can it sustain and still be dirt worthy on stock gearing? Can it run at 55-60 if it had to for a while to connect trails?

2. I've read about various mods for power. Do they affect the longevity of the engine? Mostly carb mods..

3. Most street legal have the Baja Designs kit. Is there a preferred speedo/odo/tac add on kit or do many of these have it?

5. Any signs of excess use/abuse beyond normal bike stuff such as leaks, burning oil, etc?

Thanks,

Chuckster

I own a 04 xr250 and it topped out at 70 with the 'gordons mods' on flat ground.

Like others said the best mods you can do are gordons mods to let it breathe better and give it more throttle response.

A lot of people use the trail tech vapor

Grease the swingarm bolt and do regular oil changes.

Thanks for the tips! I love the te510, don't get me wrong, but there's been some cooling system problems (hopefully fixed) and other weaknesses I hear about common with modern bikes. The te510 power is sensitive also. Weaknesses I've seen or potential problems:

-Radiators. Had mine leak slightly. . Soldered it. Other radiator then started to break apart. Sent both off to Mylers'. Been ok but a bad hit in a getoff..

-Water pump seals can go unexpectedly. Changing early can solve but will mix oil and water

-Hose leaks fixed but still a vulnerability. CV4 helped

-Radiator cap -was blowing off at low pressure, replaced

-No convenient fan mount but needs one for slow travel. Fans and wires can fail or get disconnected

-Hydraulic clutch. Smooth but the seals tend to go when you least expect it. Overzealous preventative maintenance may catch it but some report no rhyme or reason.

Seems most items can be got to with some good preventative maintenance except .. the crash or clutch. Why hassle with it if I don't need to though: ?

I have a KTM also, 2004 450 EXC. My XR still gets plenty of ride time, atleast 50%. It's just nice to know you can go out at a moments notice, jump on it and noty worry if you did your maint. or not. KTM has more power and speed for sure but the Honda ranks just as high in the fun department. The XR hasn't let me down once in the 6 years I've had it. Still looks like new to, they hold up great over time.

XR4's are great. Beware of them if you're tall though (6'2" +). Bike is smaller than a MX based bike. Proper springs and sag setting and their still small. I like high ground clearance bikes and the XR4 isn't one. They should stuff a XR4 motor in a CRF frame. ?

I know what you mean. This summer I bought a 2006 TE510 (the same bike as a 2007) 15 years ago it would have been my dreambike, but not now. To intense, vibration, stalling issues if not ridden aggressively. No fun unless you really ride it hard, and the cost of owning a racebike is higher of course. I sold the bike.

Trail type bikes are just more fun if you are not pushing, and the XR4 is a masterpiece when it comes to simplicity and reliability. I now have a XR4 and a DRZ400.

I would not want to ride my XR4 far at 60 mph (stock gearing) . I'm sure the bike will handle it fine, but it does not feel right, personally I would experiment a little with higher gearing.

IMHO, just jet the carb and allow the bike to breathe (snorkel and exhaust) and use the bike for years without worry.

Don't know.

Yes, the swingarm pivot shaft will get stuck if you don't lube now and then. The frame will rust (the frame tubes under the engine).

Don't think so.

Thanks,

Chuckster

Edited by GU520

As much as I like the simplicity of the air cooled XRs I also have a water cooled bike. Fans are common on Trials bikes and fans on water cooled street bikes don't seem to be a problem. Honda sells fan kits for the CRF250/450, might be able to adapt one to the TE, so don't give up on the TE.

Edited by chuck4788

Thanks,

Chuckster

I have had experience with three XR400s, a '96, '98 and an '01. The '98 was a professionally built 440 with revalved stock suspension and a Sudco modified stock carb, Yosh exhaust, It hauled a**, never had a problem with it. The '01 was a stocker that I bought needing some TLC, fixed it up & installed a set of USD forks and an Edelbrock carb, otherwise stock, sold it to a friend about 5 years ago, he's still riding it with no problems. Still have the '96, bought new by my son. It has revalved suspension and a Mikuni flat slide carb, otherwise stock. It has had no major repairs since new, still runs great, I rode it this past summer on two dual sport rides.

1. With stock gearing, the 400 will cruise along at 55-60 OK, above that, it is getting buzzy. The stock engine will handle gearing up (within reason) with no problem.

2. Reasonable engne mods do not affect the reliability.

3. There are plenty of speedo options, a search will bring up plenty of info.

4. Lack of proper maintenance can cause a few problems: Seized swingarm pivot; steering head bearings worn; rear shock bushings worn out; wheel bearings worn out, etc. The intake valves in the 400 engine are soft and can wear into the seats necessitating replacement. The clues are hard starting and need for frequent adjustment.

5. Signs of abuse and poor maintenance are usually apparent, crappy appearance, oil smoke from the exhaust, oil leaks, chain and sprockets in bad shape, bent rims, etc.

Edited by creeky

Thanks for the tips.

Looking thru the ads, have a couple of leads. Seems to be a lot of used 1999-2004 dirt only models which appear barely used. The ones with the plate are a bit more chewed up - no doubt because of the convenience the plate offers. Is it still possible to plate these in CA?

Creeky

what is the difference in the suspension stacks from 1996-1998 and the rest? Are the fronts cartridge forks? Heard somewhere the earlier bikes were short on shims and tough to suspend correctly. Too harsh.. Are the rear shocks hi and low speed?

Thanks,

CB

Creeky

what is the difference in the suspension stacks from 1996-1998 and the rest? Are the fronts cartridge forks? Heard somewhere the earlier bikes were short on shims and tough to suspend correctly. Too harsh.. Are the rear shocks hi and low speed?

Thanks,

CB

Creeky

Thanks,

CB

Creeky

Thanks,

CB

I have no experience with revalving the forks or shocks myself, I have left that to the experts. Trailryder42 probably has some good info for you on this.

Can an XR400 still be plated in CA? Seen some quality used green sticker bikes but most of the plated bikes are a bit beat.

Can it be done or is the emissions sticker for off road only so 2004 was the last date to do it?

Thanks,

CB

Hey Chuckster, TE510 has got to be a great bike, but your buddies are right, can't quite beat ol' reliable xr400.

Contrary to what others are saying, I cruise my stock geared bike around at 65, it really starts screaming at 70, never take it that fast for more than a second, and I do feel a little bad at 65, 60 is fine. Probably wouldn't want to go 60 for more than like 20 miles though.

Like aftermarket carb? Not an expert, but I would think that you probably wouldn't want to put like a bsr42, or anything higher than 41 on a stock engine. If you bore it out though and do other engine work, it's a different story I believe.

Hm, my baja designs has no such thing, I got a trailtech endurance I believe.

The xr is pretty much overall a tank. I haven't had mine as long as most of these guys, but I haven't broken anything yet, although you're going to want the basic protection from a skid plate and handguards.

Well I don't know of anything to look at in particular, but you can get a pretty good idea of how the bike was used by looking at scratches on the crank case cover(almost all bikes are going to have a ton, but if one doesn't I'd guess that the rider really didn't throw it around too much, always a plus.)

Thanks,

Chuckster

Can an XR400 still be plated in CA? Seen some quality used green sticker bikes but most of the plated bikes are a bit beat.

Can it be done or is the emissions sticker for off road only so 2004 was the last date to do it?

Thanks,

CB

You can probably find a ton of info on plating CA bikes here at TT. My knowledge is as follows,

I think it's quite a bit easier to do it if it had been plated in the past, my brother still had quite a bit of trouble with dmv but you gotta talk to the right person.

You are absolutely not supposed to plate a bike that hadn't been plated before 2004 or came from the factory as so, even so... it happens.

There may be more "generous" DMV's

Also something to consider, a lot of the DMV people do read these forums...

If you love trail riding,a modded xr4 is a great bike.My 440 has zero problems.I have had Ktms 4-2 stroke,Husabregs,even Huskys.I had xr4s before these bikes,all those bikes are gone because Im used to riding not,towing,working,geting parts,overheating.Oh sorry I forgot also 250-450x,just as bad as the rest.Since I ride all the time the one water cooled bike that so far is lasting wr250-450.Since my job is riding,and when Im not working I love to ride anyway.The xr300-440 are great play bikes.You can still plate any xr4 in Ca.