Sign in to follow this  

2007 CRF450R for $2900? To big a bike for this old man?

I do pretty good with my KX250 two stroke. Thought when I step up to a four stroke, I'd get a 250. That was the plan until one of the service guys at work offered me his 2007 450R for $2900. He bought it new and it's totally stock. Perfect shape. He even said he has never hit the rev limiter on it...I believe him. He likes his KTM200t better as he rides hair scrambles and woods. I have a track on my five acres and race old man class (45+) at the local AMA track.

I'm alright with my 250 two stroke. Just thinking/wanting to step up to a four stroke at some point. I have road them and they are indeed different. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. So the two specific questions:

1-Going from a 250KXt to a CR450Rf...is that a big jump?

2-2007 CR450R a good model year? Anything to ask him about with it?

3-$2900 a good deal for a great shape bike?

4-do I keep the old KX250?

OK, so it was four questions instead of two.

Thanks for any input.

Coo

I do pretty good with my KX250 two stroke. Thought when I step up to a four stroke, I'd get a 250. That was the plan until one of the service guys at work offered me his 2007 450R for $2900. He bought it new and it's totally stock. Perfect shape. He even said he has never hit the rev limiter on it...I believe him. He likes his KTM200t better as he rides hair scrambles and woods. I have a track on my five acres and race old man class (45+) at the local AMA track.

I'm alright with my 250 two stroke. Just thinking/wanting to step up to a four stroke at some point. I have road them and they are indeed different. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. So the two specific questions:

1-Going from a 250KXt to a CR450Rf...is that a big jump?

2-2007 CR450R a good model year? Anything to ask him about with it?

3-$2900 a good deal for a great shape bike?

4-do I keep the old KX250?

OK, so it was four questions instead of two.

Thanks for any input.

Coo

I am 46 yrs and I have a RM250 2-stroke that is not stock and is pretty wicked for a 95. I bought a CRF450r 4 yrs ago and I can only tell you what my experience has been. My RM is a 95 and thus the suspension is older then my 02 crf but the 4-stroke is easier for me to ride. I would say the only thing that may lean towards my RM is big steep hill climbs. I would not call my CRF a mountain goat.

Thanx for the feedback Mr. M.

Everybody says the four strokes are way easier to ride. Let you ride lazy in fact.

But I was just wondering if the 450 might be to much power. That said, it might be about the same power as my old KX250, just smoother, more linear delivery. Easier.

I am 47 years old 6' and 200lbs.

Not doing any wicked hill climbs as I live in Illinois :smirk:

Besides, no bonus if you ar efirst at a hill climb...or MX race....or hair scramble.

I'm not doing it for a living, just for fun.

If I win anything it'll be a little trophy some day. Not like I get a new Cadilac or date with the flag girl or fist full of $100 bills.

Not like I neeed the biggest baddest fastest thing out there to win...nothing much to win.

Just always thought my first new 4-stroke would be a 250. But if the 450 is just more power, and easy to manage power (compared to my KX hit), then so be it....I wont often use it all. But if somebody came on here and said "no way old man, don't due it, you'll kill yourself, if you think a KX250 is wicked, the 450 will toss you for a loop!" then I would have to reconsider.

But I've been reading more about them and considering them harder now that this good deal 450R is available to me.

Thanks

CooHead

I think you will be just fine on the 450. You will really like the powered delivery compared to the 2 stroke. I think my 450 I'd easier to ride than my sons 125. 450 makes tons of power but its controlable. I have an 07 and its been bulletproof so far. Run good oil and keep the airfilter clean, and the valves will last. Also keep the chain adjusted and in good order. I found out the hard way what the 450 torque will do to a worn chain :smirk:

Jim

go and ride the bike, judge for your self. there are products that make it even easier to ride. also some very good advice on set up or the quirks of the 450 in this forum.

I think you will be just fine on the 450. You will really like the powered delivery compared to the 2 stroke. I think my 450 I'd easier to ride than my sons 125. 450 makes tons of power but its controlable.

I agree. I do a WHOLE LOT less shifting on my 450 then I do my 2-stroke. You don't have to keep the 4 stroke on the powerband like a 2-stroke.

I am 46 yrs and I have a RM250 2-stroke that is not stock and is pretty wicked for a 95. I bought a CRF450r 4 yrs ago and I can only tell you what my experience has been. My RM is a 95 and thus the suspension is older then my 02 crf but the 4-stroke is easier for me to ride. I would say the only thing that may lean towards my RM is big steep hill climbs. I would not call my CRF a mountain goat.

? you find it easier to do hill climbs on a 250 smoker compared to the 450?? I find that weird? 450 more controllable power and more torque without being on the pipe??

I ride an 04 450r exclusivley off road and love it. FWW weight and will never look back. Get used to the throttle and power and its great!! Im only 5'9 and 180. Im sure youll be fine!

I just came off of a tricked out 2002 CR250R two-stroke and love my (new to me) 2003 CRF450R. The 450 is much easier to ride and has tons of low-end. And by the way . . .I'll be 59 this coming June, so you are still young to me. I would go for the 450!

I am also older @54 and ride 08 CRF450r, prior was 02 CRF450r, prior 93 CR250 (stop there could keep going for awhile) anyway my feeling is the CRF450 is safer to ride than a 2 stroke because the power delivery is smoother. The 2 strokes power can hit much harder in my opinion if you accidentally wisky throttle it and surprise you at the worst moment, I do not ever seem to have that problem on my 4-stroke, but do not get me wrong the 4 stroke has plenty of power in fact I belive more than any 2 stroke, its power delivery is just way smooth. Also the newer 4 strokes suspension are way better which again makes it safer when you do something stupid. So I would say you won't be disappointed going to 07 4 stroke, the 07 CRF450 had the best handling, suspension and motor ever made by Honda according to most peoples comments. People are hanging on to them.

Edited by TexasBill

The price is right.......buy it and try it out. If you don't like it, sell it off and try a 250F

Going from a 250 two stroke to a 250F is a giant step backwards power wise.

The 450 doesnt make any more raw power than the 250 2 stroke does. Its a hell of a lot easier to ride tho. Which will make you faster for longer, which will make you think youve got more power.

Cool cool cool.

Thanks for all the input guys.

It is what I was hoping to read.

Going to grease the skids with him letting him know I'm interested.

Wife already said I could get it.

"Just...I don't know....$2900 now for something I wont ride for awhile...."

See if that gets him to take my fist full of 25 $100 bills.

Coo

Cool cool cool.

Thanks for all the input guys.

It is what I was hoping to read.

Going to grease the skids with him letting him know I'm interested.

Wife already said I could get it.

"Just...I don't know....$2900 now for something I wont ride for awhile...."

See if that gets him to take my fist full of 25 $100 bills.

Coo

Wrap each hundy around a bottle/can of his favorite beer...

yea....$2400. One around each can in a case.

That outta do it.

:smirk:

Coo