Sign in to follow this  

XR400 oil change

Here is a way to make changing the oil much cleaner.

This tips is really handy if you have a skid plate.

Use a plastic shoebox to catch the oil.

It is much easier to move around than most oil drain pans.

Hold it under the frame as you remove the frame oil bolt.

Move the shoebox to the side of the bike or under the bike stand as in the image.

Get a piece of 3/4" ID white PVC pipe 2.5 inches long.

Slide it over the case that holds the oil drain plug.

Insert the socket into the pipe and remove the bolt.

After draining the oil, replace the bolt with the pipe on.

Remove the pipe and finish tightening.

No oil on the frame or skid plate.

XR-Oil_01.jpg

Put a sheet of plastic or tin foil under the oil filter cover and remove the oil filter cover.

XR-Oil_02.jpg

Kevin's XR400 Mods

• Like 1

Kev, can you just lower the bike to the ground on it's left side, then remove the filter and clean out the filter well? I do it on my Kawasaki.

doesn't snow in marine hehe..

bay area fo lyfe G unit etc etc

Just playing around. I'm about the whitest black person ever.

there is also a drain bolt on the front part of the frame

Regarding the oil filter cover, I keep reading the horror stories of people breaking these bolts. I checked the bolts on mine and was surprised at how tight they were (last oil change was done at the dealer). As an admitted over-torquer myself, has anyone just found a method that works for them like one might do for a sparkplug (handtighten then apply some fraction of a turn)?

The service manual talks about the frame drain plug being torqued to 29 ft/lbs. That seems really high and presumably for a dry bolt. What are others torquing this bolt to assuming it's oily?

I think the frame drain they are talking about is the one way up front and its a big banjo bolt. The one one the side of the case I just snug it up. I also have a spark plug in place of my bolt. Long story.

The oil filter I use the 1/4 inch drive and just give it a snug too. Never leakedonce doing it that way.

Did my first oil & filter change last night -- slow and methodically. Needed the 3/8" ratchet to break the drain plugs loose. I also pre-marked the position of each bolt in the hopes of returning them to their approximate positions (I'm not mechanically inclined). I left the torque wrenches in the toolbox and snugged up all the bolts (1/4" drive ratchet or combo wrench) after I was done. Each bolt was within a fraction of a turn before their original position.

I fell victim to the tricky dipstick readings. The shop manual stated that not all the oil can be put in the bike at once. I had no problem putting in two quarts on the first pour (perhaps due to cycling the kickstarter a few times with the kill switch down between quarts?). I started the engine, then went for a putt up & down the street. It still read low. So I put another 200 ml. in and the oil level came to the upper mark on the dipstick. I later decided (based on some articles here) to just stick with two quarts. I ended up siphoning out about 100 to 150 ml. (somewhat messy) and decided to leave it be.

I forgot to mention how dirty the oil was that came out earlier :applause:

(handtighten then apply some fraction of a turn)?

?

This method works very well. My shop manual says 18 ft/lbs for the oil drain bolt, I don't even use that much.

The tin foil or 1" PVC is all very well & good for the side drain bolt & thanks to TT folks here for all the tips.

The upper frame oil drain is the one creating an environmental hazard on my garage floor. What I need is a logarithm to calculate the distance the oil will shoot out, based on pressure, viscosity, temperature, & my available time & # of paper towels. Who ever comes up with this one gets the golden drain plug award.

For the upper drain bolt I use a smallish plastic jug with the top cut off and stick it next to drain bolt and everything drains right in along with the bolt. Easy to retreive later. I also have a longer plastic drain pan to catch the smaller drips as I remove the filter cover. Also someone wrote about using toilet paper rolls to drain the oil on the side. I have better luck with this than the pvc pipe because it stays put and I don't get any mess at all.:applause:

what happens if you put a bit too much oil in it and go riding?

i put in just a little much this last time and i just noticed a little burn off at start up and then it was fine and now that i have ridden it twice it seems to be fine. right at the full mark.