Sign in to follow this  

Tonneau covers....talk to me!

Shopping for a soft, roll type tonneau cover for my dually-roll up so that I can still put bikes, tall stuff, etc in the back when I want to, roll it out of the way and still use the gooseneck, but something that will keep the elements out of the bed (and prying eyes) when I'm not.

Looking for something along the lines of a velcro-closure (no snaps to tear out of the vinyl), with struts or bars for support (we get snow, so it can't be tension only support) that's durable, sturdy, and easy to work with.

Tell me what brand/version you got, what you like and don't like about it.

Thanks.

Look at the Lund Genesis roll up tonneau cover. My Dad's got one on his '05 Tacoma and he's been really happy with it. Velcro down the sides and 3 round bars to support it. He's had it on the truck since the truck was new, and it's shown no signs of wear. It can't be opened with the tailgate up, and it has two small straps to keep it rolled up, though my Dad hardly ever uses them when it's rolled. I can't comment on the installation procedure, he had a shop do it. And he can't use the bed rail system the truck came with, but that's a Tacoma thing.

A buddy of mine has one of those roll up kind that velcro's down the bed rail. I had never been around one of the darn things, and without thinking I slammed the tail gate shut with my fingers wrapped around the top of the gate. I know this now, there is a steel support that keeps the cover from sagging, and comes very close to the gate when things are shut. I had all eight fingers between the gate and the steel support, and yes the gate was completely shut. Lots of foul language and a couple hard jerks and I was able to free myself. Didn't break anything but did lose a couple fingernails and some bruising.

I know someone with a "truckedo" like truck+tuxedo so not sure on spelling. But he says its awesome. I have a hard cover on my truck, and I think I am going to keep it but take it off for summer. WAS thinking about offing it for 500-700 and getting a truxedo but we'll see.

I know someone with a "truckedo" like truck+tuxedo so not sure on spelling. But he says its awesome. I have a hard cover on my truck, and I think I am going to keep it but take it off for summer. WAS thinking about offing it for 500-700 and getting a truxedo but we'll see.

You're correct thinking of Truxedo. I have one on my Mega Cab. The Lo-Pro is the roll-up style with two velcro rails that clamp onto the box sides with cam-over clamps, and a front bar that provides the tension for the cover. I like mine well enough, except you can't completely tuck your front tire fully into the box corner for more stability. I haven't tried loading my bike in backwards yet, but soon will be trying that way. Also, depending on how you can get the rolled up cover to sit, it may also get in the way of the front tire (again, another reason to try loading the bike in backwards). I'm soon going to be installing a o-track kit for a better mounting system in the box.

Only two brands I've really seen at work for the roll-up style is the Truxedo or the Lund.

I have a truxsport (truxedo) cover. Rolls up right behind back glass and I have no problem with my bike fitting. It sags a little with rain or snow on top, but has never leaked. I had to replace the velcro on the rails, I ordered 1" velcro from 3m, 15 feet for $12. It has held up a lot better than the factory stuff. I always strap it down when rolled up, it came unrolled at 70mph one time going down the road.

I think you drive Chevy's so this probably won't help, but I have the standard Ford supplied cover on my 99 Ford and it is still hanging on quite well. It has just started to tear slightly at the corners, but after 12 years what can you expect. The cover has nylon edges that slip into a groove. Works real well, holds up to wind and snow. The last time I priced one at the Ford dealer, surprisingly it was all that expensive. Not sure if it would fit a Chevy, but might be worth looking at. Good luck.

I've had one of these: http://extang.com/docs/tufftonno.html on my pickum up truck for the past 13 years now and could not be happier. Instead of snaps, it's got a flexible plastic hook extrusion thing that grabs onto an aluminum rail that runs around the perimeter of the bed. In the summer time, it's a piece of cake to put on and take off. It's a bit tougher in the winter when the cover shrinks and is less flexible. I have been impressed with how well it has held up over the years.

My only gripe involves some douche who flicked his cig on it and burned a hole in it. To the X-tang's credit, the hole has remained the same size for the better part of a decade.

My next truck will have another Xtang cover on it.

Talked to a bunch of folks in person about theirs, and after adding the reviews I've gotten here, I'm going to go with the Truxedo Truxport.

It's going on my 95 F350 Dually, and I'm going to custom fab a bed bar to work around/with the tonneau. Got an 8' box, so there's plenty of room to space the bikes back a few inches to clear whatever hardware the cover has at the front.

http://www.truxedo.com/truxport/land.php

Thanks guys!