SX Head for KTM 200?

I have an 11' KTM 200 which I am looking to increase my top end. I feel the top end kinda falls flat and have been woking on my jetting and such. With my past bikes I have always done the head mod from RB Designs to increase a little performance. But, I have also read on here of riders removing their XC-W heads and installing an SX head, mainly on the 300's. My question is .... Does KTM make an SX head for the XC-W, XC 200? If so, anyone bought one? How did it change your bike? Did you lose bottom end? Tell me about it if it exists! Thanks KTMers!!!

Edited by Oregon250

I don't think they do, haven't been able to find one myself. On the 125-250 yea, its no big deal, but the 200 was never made as an SX motor.

I'd pull the head, measure the squish and see what its set at. My guess is, its 1.5 - 2mm. You can increase that a tiny bit by decreasing the base gasket and you will gain a bit of top end for sure. You might also wanna make sure everything is OK in there, perhaps you're loosing compression for some reason. I've ridden a 200 and the thing is a lightening bolt, so if your having a problem, it might just be time for a new piston and rings.

Yep, or Mike at Cycleplayground. I was going to use RB for my head till I talked to Mike. That was before Trey was around. Both will be cheaper than RB and will still do excellent work.

There is no current 200SX, so no go, and I am not sure the 200 SX of old was that much different, if any.

For topend, either have your carb oval bored, or buy a 38mm carb, and install a 144/150 CDI.

Trey at Wildcat motors in Ky can work on that head for you.Make it into what you want for not much money.

Wildcat Motorworks

853 Gerardi Rd.

Lexington,Ky 40509

Yea, Talking to Trey already. He thought there was an SX head for the 200 or if he was going to make it into an SX head, not sure.. Need to confirm, & keep ya posted!!

• 3 months later...

I do not have the 200 engine done yet that I am working on so I do not know how this is going to work out but,,,, New Vertex piston with a hole cut into the side that lines up with the boost port. Decked the cylinder that dropped all the ports (that will help the low) and the boost port mod should help the top so in the end the theory is to gain all around. Also doing a head mod on that engine. As far as the SXS head I have not seen one. Like others have said you could have your stock head modified to be more SX like.

Joe...........

Is there anyone one here that gained top end or over rev with a different expansion chamber? I just added a 200 SX Fatty Pipe to my 08 but it is winter here and I can't really test it. I am searching for the same as you. A longer pull on top.

I have gained top end and overrev with the fatty pipe. Stock expansion chamber falls off the pipe as soon as it gets on the pipe.

I've bought an SX FMF pipe from a TT member here and the thing really opens the top end up. I now use the FMF system for MX/open trails, and put the stock pipe back on for tight hill stuff as the bottom end makes it a little easier to ride.

The stock pipe signs off way to early aswell, with the FMF it'll scream to the moon.

I've been contemplating getting a 144SX CDI and seeing what that does to the powercurve also.

Video from the weekend with the FMF:

28896410150746953990434.jpg

Very nice tobz, glad the pipe/silencer combo is working for you. I got to try a 200SX Fatty recently and would like that pipe for fast flowing track or trail. I will keep my Gnarly for the technical terrain, however.

I can tell you, you will like the 144 SX CDI, hotter from bottom to top, especially for the riding you are doing.

Even with FWW, and a Gnarly, mine will still break traction when it comes on the pipe if I am on it hard in 5th/6th.

Wow, mine never gets to see that kind of rev for more than a few seconds. LOL

Edited by gmoss357

Is there anyone one here that gained top end or over rev with a different expansion chamber? I just added a 200 SX Fatty Pipe to my 08 but it is winter here and I can't really test it. I am searching for the same as you. A longer pull on top.

the KTM hardparts pipe for the later 200's adds a lttle top, as well as a little upper-mid hit. If you like linear power, most of the hit can be dialed out with a powervalve adjustment. You don't lose much, if any, on the bottom with this pipe.

Edited by Ralphtogo

the KTM hardparts pipe for the later 200's adds a lttle top, as well as a little upper-mid hit. If you like linear power, most of the hit can be dialed out with a powervalve adjustment. You don't lose much, if any, on the bottom with this pipe.

Thanks. The Fatty pipe ended up adding quite a bit of revs while still keeping the bottom pretty strong. My next pipe may be the powerparts or a pro circuit as the fatty is getting harder to get a hold of.

I really wanted to try a PC Platinum 1 but I couldn't even find a real picture of one. I couldn't find any posts where someone was using one on their 200 either. If you have one, post a pic or tell us about it. All I know is the 2 is a woods pipe and the 1 is more of a rev pipe.