Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Question About Jumping

I have a KTM 250 2 stroke. When I hit bigger jumps -- doubles, triples, even tabletops, the front wants to nosedive. What would cause this? Is it too much de-acceleration on the jump face? I have only been riding mx for a year and admit that I have a tendency to let off the gas on the jump face and sort of coast off of the lip. Common sense tells me that by coasting off I am essentially "falling" of the jump instead of launching off of it. Is my thinking correct?

Thanks for the help.

Yea, you should be hitting the jumps with at least even throttle. What happens is, when you completely chop the throttle on the jump face, the suspension doesn't load up properly and you'll be more of a victim to body position and issues with the jump itself. So yea, try just hitting the jump face with even throttle and I think you'll find the problem goes away. Also, make sure your body position is centered on the bike, its also good to stand up when your learning how to jump because that will help keep you from preloading the rear too much by accident, which can also put you into a nose-dive situation if you don't know how to do it properly.

The most important part of the jump is where the bike actually leaves the ground, where you have the compression and rebound part of the jump. What gives you control at this critical part of the jump is your body movements and throttle control. Along with this body movement and throttle control is timing. The timing is so critical that the body movement and throttle control has to be an automatic reflex reaction. This is why it takes so much time and practice to learn to jump well. Key into the compressing and rebound part of the jump, move your body back a little as the rear wheel kicks up and blip the throttle a little at the same time. This will cause the front wheel to stay level or come up a little. If the front wheel is too high don’t move back as much or give it as much throttle. If you want the front end lower it’s just the opposite; don’t blip the throttle as much and don’t move back as much. When you want to accelerate after the landing it’s best to land with the throttle on. I have 2 Technique DVDs that cover Jumping and Whoops and more available to download. You can see a free Motocross Technique DVD preview of these and many others at: www.gsmxs.com or you can visit www.mxraceschool.com for complete DVD downloads.

Short clicker.jpg

• Like 1