Sign in to follow this  

What would happen if...

There are some graphs of the difference, I think even posted in one on my threads possibly.

It will give you more power across the board.

A little searching should turn up the graph, may have been on ktmtalk.

some years are the same in the older bikes, the newer bikes maybe 00 and up have different cdi on them and can help. Remember that the plugs changed in 04 or 05.

What would happen if I put a 150/125 SX CDI on my 200 XCW?

It will work great;)

Joe......

There are some graphs of the difference,

150SX_CDI_test.jpg

some years are the same in the older bikes, the newer bikes maybe 00 and up have different cdi on them and can help. Remember that the plugs changed in 04 or 05.

I bought a 2002 125 a few years ago and found it had an 07 125 cdi with the newer connector. If one is not afraid to do a little soldering it is an easy enough job.

Joe.......

I am trying to gain a little more top end, but do not want to scrifice any bottom end power. Will I still be able to lug?

What stator and flywheel do you have now?

Joe.......

If it's still stock, which it likely is, it's a 2k3.

I never looked at that graph closely, but it looks like th 200 CDI gives slightly better power up in the RPM range and the 150 CDI moves the power down lower with a peakier midrange. I can say that graph is a pretty good representation of what I have experienced. Once I get mine back together and get to do some more experimenting, I may go to a 200 CDI.

BTW Joe, thanks for digging up that graph. :smirk:

Edited by gmoss

If it's still stock, which it likely is, it's a 2k3.

I never looked at that graph closely, but it looks like th 200 CDI gives slightly better power up in the RPM range and the 150 CDI moves the power down lower with a peakier midrange. I can say that graph is a pretty good representation of what I have experienced. Once I get mine back together and get to do some more experimenting, I may go to a 200 CDI.

BTW Joe, thanks for digging up that graph. :smirk:

Hmmm, we gotta switch sson to sse how it is in real life!

SO sounds like a sweet & easy mod to do on your 200 if you want it to be more agressive!! Why aren't more people doing this? Is there a down side? Run hotter? More/quicker rebuilds? Sounds like a no brainer!!! Trey at MotorKat says he has a '200SX like' head for me. Then I will look for a 150SX CDI box and see if their compatible. If they are...Boom! 200SX...Right? This is my dream bike...An SX engine with the XC-W suspension & tranny!!

Edited by Oregon250

The SX had a different pipe as well. If you really want a 200 SX, then you need to get the PV timer, 200 SX CDI, carb, and pipe from a 2003-04 200 SX. I am not sure if the 200SX had a different head or not. But, a milled 200W head is likely just as good, if not better.

I am riding a converted 144, but I am making it more XC/W oriented. About the only thing I am keeping from the SX is the CDI and the tranny. I guess you can call mine an SXC. hehe

There have been quite a few folks converting their 144's to 200's, but not as many converting their 200's to SX's. I would like to try an SX 200 pipe, but don't think it would really benefit me.

The SX had a different pipe as well. If you really want a 200 SX, then you need to get the PV timer, 200 SX CDI, carb, and pipe from a 2003-04 200 SX. I am not sure if the 200SX had a different head or not. But, a milled 200W head is likely just as good, if not better.

I am riding a converted 144, but I am making it more XC/W oriented. About the only thing I am keeping from the SX is the CDI and the tranny. I guess you can call mine an SXC. hehe

There have been quite a few folks converting their 144's to 200's, but not as many converting their 200's to SX's. I would like to try an SX 200 pipe, but don't think it would really benefit me.

If I just kept the Head and maybe the CDI would all that work together. After all, I am just a woods rider, not really a racer. Won't do the pipe as I like my TC II and won't mess with the PV timer. Would that work or is this an all or nothing type thing?

You can do as much or as little as you want. Any one or all works.

If you are riding woods, then I would start with having the head milled, ride and make a determination at that point. Tightening up the head tolerances will make jetting easier and just make the bike run better all the way around.

Though having that extra umph can be fun, it is not always wanted or needed in technical woods riding. I am in the process of toning down and smoothing out the power delivery on my bike. I rarely spend much time in the upper rpm, so that doesn't really matter to me. Having a nice smooth, torquey low to mid range is what matters to me. I ride my bike more like a bigger bore bike and try to set it up so.

Hey Joe. Did your 200 pull for longer when you switched to the 200 SX fatty?

I am in love with the fatty, it feels better all around on my bike. I like that fatty so much I have a darn near new dent free gnarly sitting there.

Joe.......

If I just kept the Head and maybe the CDI would all that work together. After all, I am just a woods rider, not really a racer. Won't do the pipe as I like my TC II and won't mess with the PV timer. Would that work or is this an all or nothing type thing?

At the moment I have a few CDI units: 09 200 XC, 08 200 XC, 08 144 SX, and two 07 125 SX. The XC CDI's sit on the work bench. I have a spare 07 125 SX CDI that I have had up for sale but no takers. With that fatty pipe I wonder if the 39mm carb is working very well with it? One of my 200 engines is getting a reshaped and shaved head with a trued hot rods crank. The other engine is going to a builder that is going to do some porting and head work. It should be a fun 2012;) As far as not being a racer, come on out and try it. You may like it. A few benefits: no head on collisions, medical staff on site, no cops busting your balls for stupid shit (on private property), sweep riders that will help you out, your never stranded.

Joe...........

OkaySweet! Ordering that "SX" head from Trey and will go from there. Still need to fine tune the jetting and this thing should rip. Thanks for all your help! Keep ya posted!!

I would like to see a graph of the difference between the 125 and 144 cdi on a 200. I have heard.read that the 125 cdi is actually better than the the 144 cdi.