Sign in to follow this  

Old member, need new tips on tire install

Spooned on a new rear tire last night, but can't seem to get the bead to set all the way on both sides. I have tried airing down and back up and thumping the side wall with no success. Anyone have some tips out there?

I usually bring mine to the gas station and give it a blast with a real compressor. Are you using a large compressor or one of those small portable tire inflating compressors?

I used a little bit of Ruglyde. It's a tire mounting lubricant. You could use something similar on the bead, to try and help it slide onto and seat better.

I used a little bit of Ruglyde. It's a tire mounting lubricant. You could use something similar on the bead, to try and help it slide onto and seat better.

This is the key. If you dont have tire lube you can spray some windex around the beads to help it seat.

WD 40 for mounting lube is the best I have found. I have used regular automotive mounting fluid, brake cleaner, soap, and anything else you can imagine. I was told this tip by an old racer. I was worried about tire and rim slippage and he said "once it dries it will stick hard to the rim, next time you change that tire you will see how hard it is to break the bead." He was right on all counts. I finally bit the bullet and tried it on one particularly hard to seat tire that I had put over 100 psi to try to seat it evenly, while using various versions of my mounting lubes. WD and 40 psi, it snapped right into place.

Been using it since on many tires and yes they do stick well to the rims.

WD-40, yes. If you have sun, placing the inflated tire in the sun to warm up often helps. Not recommended to use over 40 psi. If you do, us the type of air chuck that fastens to the valve stem so you are not standing there if the tire blows. KY jelly is a good tire mounting lubricant.

As mentioned, WD-40, or Windex, or some dishwashing soap in a squirt bottle of water.. whatever, use something to lube the bead before airing up. It's also a good idea to remove the valve stem.. it also faster flow of air into the tube (faster expansion, more pressure quicker to seat the bead) and allows faster release of air if something goes wrong.. With lube, I can seat any tire on any motorcycle rim ,, street or dirt with a hand pump.

I would recommend a dish soap and water solution, but I would no way use a lubricant, this can cause the tire can spin on the rim. Water evaporates and the lubricant won't! My tire changing advice, WARM TIRE (use a hair dryer is you have too), baby powder inside the tire, dishsoap+water solution in spray bottle to lubricate the tire (and in your case the rim as well), leave the rim lock loose (if you have one), inflate to 40+, but not much more. If it is still being stubborn put more spray and heat it even more. I have even used a rubber mallot to work around not seated bead. Oh, and make sure the rim is CLEAN, grime will prevent easy seating. Patience will get you there.

Edited by Strick

small portable compressor, I put over 40 pounds of pressure in the tube, is it safe to just keep pumping it until it sets? Even if its like 80 pounds ?

i've gone up to 80psi to seat beads on cold dunlop 606 rears. never had a problem because of it. (i inflate it to about 80psi, then just let it sit for a few hours. the bead eventually seats.)

Edited by LittleRedToyota

I just replaced my sm tires this a.m. I soaped up the beads and the rim. Both front and rear (Michelins) went on nicely. I lubed the bead again and was able to seat both front and rear with a very small bicycle pump. Both seated at 25psi. Lube is the key! Good luck.

I used laundry soap (liquid) with very little water. Applied with a small sponge. No problems.

WD-40 is terrible for rubber. Drys the tires out and causes dry rot.

Id suggest you ride more :smirk: .. You could soak a tire in WD-40 leave it in the sun, and heat the fluid to boiling point, and no motorcycle tire I've seen, used, ridden on in 40 years has or would

Drys the tires out and causes dry rot
while useable rubber was still on the tire.

In any case, common dish soap and a bottle of water work just fine, and always available.... Or go all out and buy a bottle of tire lube

Every time I hear of a bad out of balance tire, the bead is what I think of. I've put on many a tire and the bead is the toughest part, next to avoiding pinching the dang tube!