eliminating as much wiring as I can

I have a 2002 S model. I have already removed the wiring for the following items:

-front and rear turn signals

-fan

-horn

-temp sensors to the radiator (no thermostat anymore)

-throttle position sensor (not needed so it went)

-kickstand kill switch

-clutch kill switch

I'm planning on installing a kick start and want to know what else I can remove when I get the kickstart installed. I want as much wiring off the bike as possible. I don't ever ride the bike on the street and could care less about the resale value of the bike-it will be ridden until it blows up. I want to remove the entire ignition system, and have found a few threads regarding how to do that, but not much on getting rid of all the unnecessary wiring.

The only thing I want to keep is the headlight, in case I get caught out on the trail in the dark. Any advice? Pictures?

Get a wiring diagram for an E model. An E model wire harness should do the trick or just cut yours down to look like the E model. Slight differnce is to ground the green wire out of the larger CDI plug so your S model CDI will still work. You can wire power to the CDI direct from the key switch to eliminate the S model kill switch next to the throttle. You still need to power the start button. Use the S or E start button.

Adding a kick start will not change anything unless you also plan to remove the e-start. Then you can remove the wires and battery cables for the e-start. I would keep the ground cable.

Get a wiring diagram for an E model. An E model wire harness should do the trick or just cut yours down to look like the E model. Slight differnce is to ground the green wire out of the larger CDI plug so your S model CDI will still work. You can wire power to the CDI direct from the key switch to eliminate the S model kill switch next to the throttle. You still need to power the start button. Use the S or E start button.

I am planning to do the same thing except I am keeping the fan (no temp sensors and manually controlled),headlight,taillight.....

Noble, since I am removing the interlock relay box where should I pick up ground for the Green wire from the S CDI?

Yes, I was planning on getting rid of electric start once I installed the kickstart kit. I was also therefore going to get rid of the starter, starter clutch and starter torque limiter. I will track down and E wiring diagram. I know from reading other threads that I need to keep the on/off switch because of the CDI. Was thinking of getting rid of the battery and installing capacitor. Anything I missed that I could take off the bike once kickstart is installed?

Yes, I was planning on getting rid of electric start once I installed the kickstart kit. I was also therefore going to get rid of the starter, starter clutch and starter torque limiter. I will track down and E wiring diagram. I know from reading other threads that I need to keep the on/off switch because of the CDI. Was thinking of getting rid of the battery and installing capacitor. Anything I missed that I could take off the bike once kickstart is installed?

Left side of the crank, E flywheel, E stator, left side cover, then replace with Kicker parts.

U mean use the s model run switch dont u? The start button doesnt stay on after pressing it...i would think u eliminate that and use the run swtch below it. Also u need a kicker only wiring diagram which i have nevet seen. Most e models also had an e start.

Get a wiring diagram for an E model. An E model wire harness should do the trick or just cut yours down to look like the E model. Slight differnce is to ground the green wire out of the larger CDI plug so your S model CDI will still work. You can wire power to the CDI direct from the key switch to eliminate the S model kill switch next to the throttle. You still need to power the start button. Usenot the S or E start button.

Adding a kick start will not change anything unless you also plan to remove the e-start. Then you can remove the wires and battery cables for the e-start. I would keep the ground cable.

Edited by punisher14

Well all E models are electric start. That is what makes them E models. Without electric start it is a DRZ400(no post script, kick start model)

Yes, you can wire the S model kill switch to be the main power switch and discard the keylock switch. One of many options.

• 2 weeks later...

I have broken open my whole wiring harness and gotten rid of a sh*t ton of wiring already. Starter, starter clutch, and torque limiter are gone. I have a couple of questions though and hope someone can provide a definite answer. FYI I am cutting down the S wiring harness, not replacing it. I am also sticking with the S CDI.

1-My throttle position sensor (TPS) is no longer plugged into my carb. Can I just cut the blue and yellow wires for the TPS off right at the connector for the CDI?

2-I want to eliminate the wiring for the nuetral switch from where it plugs into the left side, in front of the gear shifter. Looking at the wiring diagram, there is one wire from nuetral switch that goes to turn signal/side stand relay. Another which goes to CDI ,and a third black and white wire. I am going to totally eliminate/remove the turn signal/side stand relay. Can I just totally eliminate nuetral switch altogether by cutting these wires off where it plugs in, in front of gear shifter, and then trace them back to harness and cut them off at CDI and relay?

This is all good info for me because I am about to be dealing with all this myself. I have been thinking about doing this forever. So much so that I am finding myself intimidated by the rediculous wiring schematic. I just need to open the harness up and start removing one item at a time and confirming the bike runs properly after each item removed.

The DRZ S Model has a load of wiring that can be ditched off for a much cleaner and easier wiring harness. Eliminating the indicator sub panel, interlock relay alone would almost make the wiring bundle behind the headlight 40% smaller. Ditch off the rad temp sensors, and wiring the fan directly to a switch will finish it up nicely.

I have broken open my whole wiring harness and gotten rid of a sh*t ton of wiring already. Starter, starter clutch, and torque limiter are gone. I have a couple of questions though and hope someone can provide a definite answer. FYI I am cutting down the S wiring harness, not replacing it. I am also sticking with the S CDI.

1-My throttle position sensor (TPS) is no longer plugged into my carb. Can I just cut the blue and yellow wires for the TPS off right at the connector for the CDI?

2-I want to eliminate the wiring for the nuetral switch from where it plugs into the left side, in front of the gear shifter. Looking at the wiring diagram, there is one wire from nuetral switch that goes to turn signal/side stand relay. Another which goes to CDI ,and a third black and white wire. I am going to totally eliminate/remove the turn signal/side stand relay. Can I just totally eliminate nuetral switch altogether by cutting these wires off where it plugs in, in front of gear shifter, and then trace them back to harness and cut them off at CDI and relay?

Be sure and post where you pick up the ground for the CDI Green wire......

I definitely will. I just broke apart the whole harness and started tracking wires down. A lot of the stuff I had already cut off at the wire harness, but I never broke it apart and actually removed the whole wire. There were just so many dang wires running everywhere it was ridiculous.

I definitely will. I just broke apart the whole harness and started tracking wires down. A lot of the stuff I had already cut off at the wire harness, but I never broke it apart and actually removed the whole wire. There were just so many dang wires running everywhere it was ridiculous.

One day I sat down with the OEM schematic and started highlighting all of the wires and switches I didnt need and before I was done the entire schematic was practically high lighted.

Once you eliminate all lighting and E start, you might as well eliminate the battery. Then you are down to just a few wires and a kill switch.

Stator to the CDI

Stator to RR

RR to capacitor

Cap to CDI

CDI to coil

Wire a nornal closed kill switch in to the green wire (open to kill)

That should do it.

Edited by Noble