Sign in to follow this  

Washington Tahuya fork failure: Have this happened to anyone?

I went to Tahuya, this morning. Check out the video. I am definitely looking for feedback. I know the end result, most likely means I'm done 'till replacement parts are found.

Glad to see your ok, that could of ended up bad if you did a face plant into a tree or rock out there by your self. I have never seen that but I have seen the frame break at the steering tube. Guess KTM was using some cheap Chinese supplied metal in the manufacturing of those forks or the QA guy was off that day.

While I don't know anything about your fork, this was common on bicycle forks when the pinch bolts were overtightened. Check the manufacture torque spec, if it's anything like bicycles, the torques on the pinch bolts are pretty small.

-KT

I'm painfully aware of pinch bolt torque. That mistake cost me a new fork for my Kona. I need to clean up the damaged area. All I really want know is...Was it a clean break that just happened, or an overlooked fracture that finally failed. I'm pretty sure it's destroyed beyond repair.

While I don't know anything about your fork, this was common on bicycle forks when the pinch bolts were overtightened. Check the manufacture torque spec, if it's anything like bicycles, the torques on the pinch bolts are pretty small.

-KT

I would assume the forks are marzocchi like the KTM's from the 80's also had? i have never seen this before but you nevr know how much pounding a 22 year old bike has taken over it's life.

Joe

:smirk: WOWZAAAA :bonk: Glad it didn't turn out worse!!!! That will end a day of riding in a hurry... no JB Weld there....

I'm assuming that at some time the pinch bolts were loose. A crack occurred, and the vibration ultimately broke it in two. Sh&t happens. Bummer.

Yes, have seen that before on a 87' 250 exc that Goatbrother owned.

Good chance Mikes Cycle Supply in Baton Rouge, LA might have the part on the shelf....It unscrews from the bottom of the fork tube. You will need a good vise with v-blocks and a big pipe wrench!

It happens. Everything breaks eventually. Probably over tightened at some pint in it's life. If those are the WP forks i would look for a newer front end to bolt on there. And yes, that center stand is bad ass.

That happened to a 91 EXC I had and it was a known problem back then. It was replaced for free but that was ummmm yikes!! over 20 years ago. I think the forks were actually WP upside downs.

You never know, but that looks like it was some serious metal fatigue over the years. The crack could ave started before you ever bought the bike and just worked its way through the metal a few thousands at a time. Then combined with the colder temps that you experienced while riding in the snow (I know it isn't arctic conditions, but metal gets more brittle the colder it gets) and viola! The snap finally occured.

My son's riding buddy, who's currrently on the Tacoma police force, had an early 90's KTM 300 that did the exact same thing. I pointed it out to him prior to it actually failing though.

^^^ lucky guy!

BTW, hi yogi! long time no see!

Darren

Hi Darren. Yeah haven't been riding much lately. Just when you think life couldn't get any fuller, it does. Keep snapping those great photo's though

Cheers

Chuck