Sign in to follow this  

IMS cross over line

Recently installed an IMS gas tank and then I realized how much fuel would be stuck on the right side of the tank. My tank does not have fittings for a cross over. Is there something going on inside not visible to accomplish this process (not likely) but asking anyway. If Not

Has anyone tried to install a cross over on a non equipped tank? Harley had this on their split tanks but they were steel w/ fittings.

Given ya can not get to the lower interior of the tank, I can't think of hard wear that will give a good seal after drilling holes in the lowest parts of the tank and working souly on the exterior.

This is my first Dr it is an 06 with under 3k purchased for 3k and relying on tips and suggestions from this site have been up grading many components carb, lights, tank, hand guards, and electrics to allow LED's.

Thanks to all who have ventured into the mechanical unknown and shared their success!

Well I've been thinking about this and have figured a way to make a cross over. A picture is worth a thousand words so I'll draw a picture and post it soon.

That's what I call the old lean reserve. I once ran out of gas on the interstate (while in reserve). After pondering my situation I realized there is likely to be some gas trapped on the right. Leaned it (or rather laid it) on the left side then stood it up and she fired right up. Not an ideal practice. No doubt a line on the big IMS would be much more civilized.

That's what I call the old lean reserve. I once ran out of gas on the interstate (while in reserve). After pondering my situation I realized there is likely to be some gas trapped on the right. Leaned it (or rather laid it) on the left side then stood it up and she fired right up. Not an ideal practice. No doubt a line on the big IMS would be much more civilized.

+1

"emergency reserve" It's good for another 10 miles or so. It's a pretty simple matter to just lea the bike over and splash the fuel over to the left side. Beats walking.

A couple things can help. If you've done a crossover line ... be careful with the routing.

One thing that helps add range is to ROTATE the metal fuel inlet tube on the Carb. It is set at 12 O'clock. Grab firmly with channel lock pliers (cover with rag)

and ROTATE the fuel tube to the 9 O'clock position. This helps flow ... but you can never get all the gas from the right side ... so your idea of a cross over is a good one.

I'l love to see how you've done it. There is at least a half gallon that goes unused in the IMS. I know ... because I measured all of it.

An alternative to leaning the bike over is to remove tank ... pick it up and dump gas on the right over to left side lobe.

Good luck! PICS Please!