Fork failure

I broke one once on a MTB fork. Those are expensive as well. I need to clean up the damaged area, and determine if the failure was quick, or an undetected fracture, that finally gave up the ghost. I have the crash on video, but haven't uploaded to You-tube( a rather embarrassing moment even though it turned out not be my fault).

Ive seen it happen to peoples chinese bikes.

She's been a great old bike. Next on the "honey do" list, finish my KX250(new chain, rear tire) so I can still ride, in the meantime. After that, Take some measurements(time for a suspension upgrade).

Yea, if you undo and redo those clamps a lot and put some decent pressure on them by over-torquing the pinch bolts, I can see that happening for sure.

Ohh well, old bikes have problems, this is sadly one of them! ?

While I'd gently cruise around on an old bike I'd be scared to really ride one. Think of the number of stress cycles every part has gone through. I just wouldn't trust it to not break and hurt me.

Sorry, but that's absurd.

What about the KTM triple clamps snapping?

About the fork, I would say it's from over tightening. It's hard to tell, but it looks like it may have been cracked a while. You can usually tell by dark staining in the broken area.

Over 10+ years how many crashes has a bike taken? How many times have the fasteners been undone and re-tightened? How many hard landings or front end impacts has it had? Just saying the aluminum most of the bike is made of fatigues, threads strip, and bolts stretch and snap. I'd be nervous going fast or jumping big on a bike with a long and unknown history.

I'd be nervous riding on those triple clamps. I don't like crashing or getting hurt so I need confidence in my equipment to ride hard.

I'm not necessarily saying that someone who rides an old bike cuz that's all they can afford should quit riding, but they should carefully inspect everything regularly and it shouldn't come as a shock if something like an aluminum clamps breaks. They should also consider upgrading when their skill level allows them to go fast and big.

Im seeing things like this, more and more on ktm s . remember this.. aluminum has a cycle life. whether its forks, frames or engine cases. everyone is lightening bikes nowadays. something has to suffer. i believe you ll see more of this stuff happen in the next 5 yrs or so, and on all kinds of offroad bikes. torque specs on aluminum parts is critical for longivity. sorry it happened to u. my 2 cents worth.

Wow! I was really tired to have posted this here. I was All hot & bothered about getting my KX done, So I can get back in the woods. Hmmmm, That must be it. If you read this, keep in mind I didn't know I had a part faiure in the front end, for at least another 30 min. "I really thought I dropped my bike for absolutely no reason. I knew something was wrong...But what?

Do you ever fly in a plane? Most of those passenger planes are old. Every time they fly, the fuselage expands and contracts from air pressure. Youre making it sound like a 12 year old bike would fall apart. Go check out a vintage race.

Over 10+ years how many crashes has a bike taken? How many times have the fasteners been undone and re-tightened? How many hard landings or front end impacts has it had? Just saying the aluminum most of the bike is made of fatigues, threads strip, and bolts stretch and snap. I'd be nervous going fast or jumping big on a bike with a long and unknown history.

I'd be nervous riding on those triple clamps. I don't like crashing or getting hurt so I need confidence in my equipment to ride hard.

I'm not necessarily saying that someone who rides an old bike cuz that's all they can afford should quit riding, but they should carefully inspect everything regularly and it shouldn't come as a shock if something like an aluminum clamps breaks. They should also consider upgrading when their skill level allows them to go fast and big.

About the fork, I would say it's from over tightening. It's hard to tell, but it looks like it may have been cracked a while. You can usually tell by dark staining in the broken area.

All debate aside...When I bought this thing, I had $3k in my pocket. 40+ hrs & $600 later...I really did alright. I still plan to buy a new(ish) bike. I just couldn't leave this one alone. After all it's my 1st one in 24 yrs. ON to my KX250(17 yrs old) and a helluva lot prettier.

I hate to tell ya, but your new bike has just about as much chance of breaking due to a casting flaw or defect as a 10 or 20 year old machine. There's risk in the sport. If you are so terribly worried about getting hurt, perhaps you should look for another hobby?

Who's worried about getting hurt? I originally posted to see if this is "just one of those things that can happen". Besides, that what body armor is for...I would like to thank everyone for their input. Thanks everyone!

I hate to tell ya, but your new bike has just about as much chance of breaking due to a casting flaw or defect as a 10 or 20 year old machine. There's risk in the sport. If you are so terribly worried about getting hurt, perhaps you should look for another hobby?

Who's worried about getting hurt? I originally posted to see if this is "just one of those things that can happen". Besides, that what body armor is for...I would like to thank everyone for their input. Thanks everyone!

I think he was talking to the other guy that is scared to ride an old bike