Sign in to follow this  

KX500 Compression Release

I found it WAY too hard to find information on the modification so I decided to put a post up that is easy to find. Just sent my head off to Larry Wiechman to have him put a compression release 'for starting only' in the head on my 2000 KX500. I will also put a flywheel weight on it before I put the head back on. This bike is one of the nicest un-molested original KX500's I have seen. Stock bore, still has cross hatch, great compression, stock pipe, no other mods that I can see. Not sure what else I will do to it for now, but will probably just enjoy it as is. Should be fun!

• Like 1

I had my compression release intalled on the side of the cylinder just above the carb. Works great, no more broken Kick lever and easy on my knees too. You will like the big 500 although it does take a little while to get used to the vibration. The flywheel weight is a big plus too. I even threw an auto-clutch into mine.

y'all talk about these 500s but don't post any eye candy. come on and throw up some pics for all of us to enjoy. :smirk:

Larry made the push button type for my KX and this for my CR. Will you agree this is eye candy?

After making the remote compression release he told me he does not want to make another remote

release just the push button. It looks more like a jeweler made it but it's all Larry.

DSCN2461.jpg

4 stroke hot start lever.

DSCN2451.jpg

This one has a push button release.

KX500AFRightsidelow.jpg

KX500AFLeftsidelow.jpg

Edited by Danger4u2

Larry made the push button type for my KX and this for my CR. Will you agree this is eye candy?

After making the remote compression release he told me he does not want to make another remote

release just the push button. It looks more like a jeweler made it but it's all Larry.

DSCN2461.jpg

4 stroke hot start lever.

DSCN2451.jpg

This one has a push button release.

KX500AFRightsidelow.jpg

KX500AFLeftsidelow.jpg

NIIIIICE!!!!!!

This is my fourth KX500. I had an '84, 92, 97, and now a 2000. Never thought any of them had a problem with the rev up! I have not taken any pics but I will when I get it back together. Just a basic stock 2000 KX500. I got it from the nephew of the uncle that got it from his younger brother (huh?) that was the original owner but had to sell it for health reasons. The uncle bought it to keep it for his brother that decided after two years he did not want it back, then the uncle (just stored it, never rode it. 70 years old) passed it to his nephew (40 years old) to sell for him as our area has a better market. He had it for a year as he thought he might ride it. After getting it started once and riding it up and down the street he sold it to me a month later. Kind of scared him…It may have the original sprockets and chain, which have some wear showing but are usable. Long story, but explains why everything seems in good order and stock. I think he said the seat got torn and was recovered. Mostly trail ridden, never raced. Best condition of any of the bikes I had before! The nephew and I work for the same company. Got it for about $600 below market here. He just wanted to move it. Good for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Brute

Brute, where can I find Larry weichman??????

Geeez, like I said in your other post, go to kxriders.com. Scroll down to the commercial services section. It doesn't get a whole lot easier.

Okay, I just went and looked at their home page, it probably helps to have an idea of what you're looking for, but it's there, complete with linky thing.

Edited by Bolon Yokte K uh