Sign in to follow this  

how to clean oil out of header pipe?

Long story short i blew a crank bearing on a 01 rm250 and it blew all the trans oil out the exhaust. It stained the rear fender pretty bad. So i had to replace the silencer and even after doing that it still blows some old oil onto the fender. Doubt its jetting cause its thick black oil, not fresh oil film ya know? How can i take header off and get all the old oil residue and crude out of there?

Thanks!

Try caustic soda, i used to use it back in the day on my smokers but beware it spits and will burn you so wear goggles and rubber gloves, you can buy it from a hardware store but you may have to ask for it as it may not be on the shelf.

A small camp fire works wonders! Just tap it once in a while with a piece of wood to knock the carbon loose. It WILL smoke like hell though so don't do it in your back yard. At least not during the day! Some guys use a torch and heat it that way too.

Edited by Tailender

ive heard the fire method a couple times. how does that work? heat the outside so that the oil drains out? or do i torch the inside of it? what about solvent?

Actually, if you could find a local engine rebuild shop that still uses a dip tank, have them dip it. It'll take all of the oil out and even the paint off. Matter of fact, if the dip solution is even in average condition your pipe will look like the factory just finished welding it up and is about to send it off to the paint line.

Crap load of oven cleaner. Then rinse. Crap load of detergent and 3/4" sharp edge landscaping rocks or similar abrasive... nuts, bolts nails or whatever. Buy 12 pack and start shaking! When 12 pack is consumed while still shaking your pipe it should be clean or you are drunk! Either way a win, win situation. Good luck grasshopper!

Make sure your pipe is clear of all cleaning apparatus before reinstalling!

Edited by rmzpegger