Sign in to follow this  

Stock or Modified?

If you had the option, which would you choose between these two DRZ SMs?

1. 2009, ~5000 miles, jet kit, MRD/SSW exhaust, tail light kit, SM front fender, handguards, aftermarket mirrors and headlight. Second owner.

2. 2007, ~1700 miles, has a couple minor add-ons but essentially stock. Even still has the reflectors on the front fender. Second owner, both women (not that it should matter :bonk:).

The 2009 is not too far away. The 2007 is a good bit further away. Current asking prices is $300 less for the 2007. And in case anyone is wondering...they are both black.

The 09 has pretty much most of the mods I would consider doing which saves me money. Although it is two years older, the 07 is practically a new bike that I know has not been abused and I can mod it as I see fit. I am one of those folks that can be a bit particular with my stuff.

Any reason to go with one or the other? Decisions, decisions... :smirk:

The difference in 3300 miles is minor.. Nether bike is high mileage at all.

Past use, maintenance performed, mechanical aptitude displayed (rounded nuts, hex head fasteners, cross tip screws, missing fasteners, oil filter cover acorn nuts that look like vise grips have been used) overall condition of the bike, plastics, levers bent, broken , scratched, bar ends scratched? etc, and of course, have either bike been opened up? Loctite fixes done? Shifter rounder over? Case shields installed?, Radiator guards? Free power mod? Battery tender installed?

The SSW/MRD is THE DRZ pipe of choice, and a taillight is 100 bux....No brainer, get the one with the pipe.

Like E. Marquez said, neither bike is high mileage, I'm up to 21k KM and still going strong, all stock engine.

The 2009 would be choice, you are going to want the MRD exhaust, (unless you don't like the noise). Jet kit, yeah ok, but later you will be thinking of changing that to a FCR carb.

If all the plastics are good, and the hand guards, headlight are good quality, then even better.

Assuming the condition is the same on both bikes. Year model is only relative to which color you want.

If the 2009 has the original take offs I'd vote for that one. If nothing else you could resell the aftermarket items and recoup the money easily.

Don't forget to factor in the price of gas and time spent driving to get the 2007 if its that far away.

I'd go for the 07... but that's just me. I'm sure both are fine. I would have trouble passing up 1700 miles... sounds kinda.... new. lol

I'd go for the 07... but that's just me. I'm sure both are fine. I would have trouble passing up 1700 miles... sounds kinda.... new. lol

and just as likely to be beat outwardly or damaged internally as the 09.. Hence the rest of the conditions to be looked at…

I’ve seen plenty of dirt bikes that were clapped out in 1700 miles..And more than one street bike that was all but destroyed in a matter of hours after leaving the dealership new.

So what is in TEXT on a for sale ad means little to me, but what I find in person counts a lot.. That makes the closer ’09 a better option in that regards.

I'd also go with the 09. It has enough miles to tell you that it has been used fairly regularly, while the 07 has probably sat for lengthy periods. That is, of course, assuming that the oil has been changed a few times along with some other maintenance and care in the 09

It's whatever you are going to be happy with....

If your got the time and spare bucks go for the 07 , if not go for the 09...

^ What he said,

its fun to do mods yourself, but if they are already done and you can get the bike for a good price, why not?

Get a S then convert to SM, sell the S stuff, you'll save money on insurance. My S used to cost about 10$ per month to insure, my SM costs almost 20$ per month. It's not a lot either way but everything counts in my book.

If the '09 checks out after a thorough inspection, I'd get that one. Of course, see if the owner can provide the stock exhaust in case you occasionally want a little peace and quiet when you ride. I can see your tough choice. There is something so darned tempting about buying a lightly ridden chick's bike. The thing is just crying out for some man abuse.

I think the fact that they went with a MRD/SSW means they are probably a member here, and more than likely know what the loctite fixes are...

I think the fact that they went with a MRD/SSW means they are probably a member here, and more than likely know what the loctite fixes are...

Perhaps the original owner did, but the current owner bought it with all the mods. As he told me, all he has done to the bike is ride it.