Sign in to follow this  

KTM WP SXS open cartridge vs Standard closed cartridge? Change shim stacks?

I've just brought a pair of open cartridge SXS forks, but they are the open cartridge fork. I am currently using the stock closed cartridge fork. The forks are both valved for my weight the sxs forks have been re valved and the closed cartridge are stock.

Should I stick with the SXS, or change the sliders from the sxs forks to my closed cartridge forks, or change the sliders and re valve to sxs settings.

I am thinking of the last one, but I have no idea where the best place would be to get shims from(I'm in the UK but anywhere that can ship worldwide will do) and how to get hold off the sxs shim stacks to suit a 12 stone without gear rider for the closed cartridge fork.

Any ideas would be great.....

you might gain a little from using the sliders from the sxs forks with the internals of the closed cartridge forks, but I would never choose a oc fork over a cc fork , the stacks of the cc sxs forks are generally better than early cc forks , but the oc forks just need more float , eg 0.6mm vs 0.3mm

without seeing the stacks it's hard to say which one has the best stacks

k tech sell shims

• Like 1

Thanks, yer but the black sliders and machined axle clamps are nice tho lol. I've not even tried yet but the threads may not even be the same. The cc cartridges are standard 2009 sxf250, no idea what the sxs cartridges are set to but its supposed to be 12 stone, my weight. I'm getting some good feedback from the bike recently from the standard forks but I have been told the sxs valving is much better. Any idea where I can find the sxs valving or how it varies to stock?

Long shot but did you used to work for a formula 1 team? I recognise mog from somewhere.