"winter maintenance" bearings replacement tips?

well i havent had much of a winter up here in NY, snowed a few times but ive been out on the RM at least 3 times this january in 45+ degre weather ?

but my winter plan for the RM is swing arm/linkage bearings and front and rear wheel bearings. along with new sprockets,chain,new handlebars and re sealed forks and rear shock refreshed. seeing as i just rebuilt my whole motor last spring and i dont think i rode it enough or hard enough to need a new top end yet..

i have never done bearings before and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to take out and replace these bearings?!

i plan on buying the whole pivot works bearing replace package. (good/bad?) or should i go with a different brand or just take old bearing to a shop and have them match em up for cheappp cause i know a place that will do that.

im figuring that its gonna be bitch to get these things out cause idk the last time they were replaced, at least 2 years ago.

last but not least, after i change all these bearings and renewed suspension will i feel a noticeable difference in the ride?

thanks guys!

-Satan

You should regrease your suspension bearings twice a year. The lower shock bearing even more since it wears out the fastest. If the needles and seals are still good, you just need to remove the needles, clean them and the race with solvent, then repack with some waterproof grease. Do one at a time and use the pin, or something similar and a zipty to keep the other bearings from falling out while you work on the piece.

If you want to just replace them, you need to press out the old ones using a press or a puller using threaded rod and some sockets. Install the new ones the same way, never tap them in with a hammer as you can crush the bearing. If the race is stuck, I use a die grinder (like a dremel tool) to cut a slit down the side. The bearing pretty much just falls out then.

Make sure you clean the inner bore of the part real good before you install the new bearings. I like to use some 400 grit paper to smooth out the surface first.

You can also replace what's needed instead of the whole shabang. While a local bearing shop "might" be able to source the bearings, the most likely cannot get the seals. Been there, done that. If you only need a couple parts you can get OEM. You can find bearings cheap on Ebay, but you have to do a little investigating and measuring to figure out the number of the bearing. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=needle+bearing&_sacat=0&_odkw=drawn+cup+needle+bearing&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Edited by Jeekinz
  • Like 1

I push my bearings in and out with my vice and a set of sockets. If the bearings are binding because they are rusted, you will feel a difference. And redoing the fluid in the suspension will make a difference if hasn't been done in a while.