XR250 Fork Guards

Did my research before I started this thread - there are some older threads on this exact topic but none of the links work. This gives me the hint that they're very old threads.

Alright - Had the bike in the shop (a really good shop, I trust the dude 100%) for fork seals/bushings/new fork oil last week. My mechanic told me he hates XR fork boots because they collect mud and they're nearly impossible to clean - So with my approval he left them off.

So now I'm left with fully open and vulenerable upper forks...

What I picture in my head is getting something like this:

fork%20guard.jpg

(these are for some random bike-probably for the lower fork anyway-just using for reference)

The older TT threads I found gave links to a company called SRC I believe?? Supposedly they made them - did a bunch of searching, couldn't find that company at all.

Now I know that seal savers (the elastic covers) are an option, but do they make those like Quad shock covers (with velcro so they can be removed for cleaning)? Or do they all slip on while the forks are off and stay on till you take forks off again? I want to be able to remove them to clean. See what I'm saying?

I'd like to know what you guys have to say about all this.

Edited by RedBlack

I have the long Seal Savers on mine, no problems so far. I pull them up every now and then to clean the seals and inspect them, and re-install them with a nother zip tie. Simple.

Kinda new to this whole dirtbike thing - I've kinda assumed that "seal savers" are the elastic covers that slip over the "shiny part of the forks" (idiot terms)

----> Please correct me if I'm wrong!

What brand/style do you have?

Oh.. Almost forgot - Really like your signature! ahahahaha so true.

Alright, well now I have some knowledgeable people telling me that as long as I keep up on cleaning under the dust seals I'll be fine with no covers/guards. I was told that it is very difficult to scratch the fork (shiny part) and that I'm best off just leaving it all wide open.

Anyone every have major (or any for that matter) problems from NOT using guards or covers??