Sign in to follow this  

So long DRZ

The trail tech flywheel caused 2 stator failures, which resulted in charred bits causing the oil pump and crank bearing to go out. I was fully committed to go from a 434 with FCR, exhaust, cams, etc....until I realized rebuilding from 434 to a 470 the way I wanted would end up costing $6k. My DRZ SM already had $6k in mods, +$6k in cost of the bike, + another $6k in rebuild, $18k DRZ? I threw in the towel.

Well, I'm riding again. Got an 08 KTM 690SMC with 2400mi, and $4700 in aftermarket parts (Full akra exhaust, power commander, re-mapped, etc) for $6k. I absolutely loved my DRZ434, but it's not even remotely comparable to the KTM. A few things I like about the KTM; it's much bigger. I'm tall and felt cramped on the DRZ, the KTM fits me and I don't look like I'm cruising around on a pitbike. It doesn't vibrate like my DRZ did. I can cruise down the highway at 75mph and actually feel my ass and hands afterwards. The brakes are much better, and what I like most is the power. It literally seems endless. My DRZ would be revving pretty high at 70mph. The KTM will pull up a stand up wheelie at 70mph...(I couldn't believe it.)

What I don't like about the KTM is it doesn't have the copious amount of info like the DRZ has. Parts aren't as readily available like the DRZ. I have absolutely zero confidence in the San Antonio KTM dealership to help me on something that's beyond my mechanical skill level. The wheels....KTM used behr rims...I dented the crap out of both of them on a pothole, BUT they didn't dent on the rough landing from the jump in the video below???

I may get another DRZ in the future, use it to beat up in the trails, and not throw a ton of money into it. Thanks to all the TT members that were able to answer every single possible question I've had about the DRZ. I've learned a lot here.

ktm.jpg

690.jpg

How old was your Trail Tech flywheel? And are you sure that it was the flywheel that caused all of your problems? FWIW I did just buy one but I haven't installed it yet.

How old was your Trail Tech flywheel? And are you sure that it was the flywheel that caused all of your problems? FWIW I did just buy one but I haven't installed it yet.

Its a well known issue with high power Trail Tech flywheels to burn up stators. They wernt designed to put out that much power. If you need more light I recommend a proper HID setup instead. Your stock charging system will work just fine and be far more reliable. Plus you can get the new Lithium batteries from Parts Unlimited on the cheap. Those 2 items will make you far better off than the Trail Tech flywheel ever will!

How old was which one? The one trail tech admitted to being defictive that killed my stator, or the new, guaranteed non-defective one that killed my stator. Put it this way, when I parted out my DRZ, I refused to sell the "non-defective" flywheel to anyone because I never want anyone to go through the crap I did with it. Also, every time I did a stoppie my motor would die. Check out my pics on the 2nd page of the thread linked below. I honestly don't know &%$#@! trail tech is thinking continuing to sell these flywheels. I'm not the only one whose had issues with their trail tech flywheel, and DRZ is not the only bike that's had issues. Oh and when you have problems trail tech will point fingers at anything and everything they can to take fault away from then. They will also tell you about how their not responsible for failures and will tell you about a no-fault document that they had a lawyer draft up.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/921329-is-anyone-running-a-lighter-flywheel-on-their-stroker/

Well it is a 690 and not a 400 so yeah the power is different hehe :smirk:

I got a KTM450SMR vs a 525 or bigger due to racing and let me just say WOW.... mine just wants to turn in like now and to the vibration issue I totally agree, my KTM is SMOOOOTH but well it does have a balanced crank hehe.

KTM vs DRZ on the info side hands down the DRZ has the best info and after market for parts but to build my Miss Piggy to get it to be like my KTM well I can buy a couple more :bonk: but I still wuvz my DRZ as it has given me 50,000 + miles of smiles.

To the OP..... Nice bike BTW :lol:

Having those extra 220cc ,fuel injection and 6 speed box you would expect to have some advantages with performance...

Shhhh... some don't know about the 6 speed gear box :smirk:

Smr 560 or 525 I would have got, that 690 is closer to a hypermotard it's heavier than the drz :smirk:

Yeah, I really like the SMR's, but I wanted something less maintenance intesive.

lol...closer to a hypermotards weight? Gotta love the internet. The warehouse where I work has a large scale next to the loading dock. I work with some of the logisticians there, and they're cool about letting me put the bike on the scale. I always stop at the gas station a few miles from work and fill up so I don't have to when I leave. I don't recall what the mfg rating on weight is for the 690 or DRZ, but my DRZ was heavier. I couldn't believe it, especially when the 690 dwarfs the DRZ in size. The 690 was 308# and the DRZ was 313#.

Just FYI, I was only providing my personal opinion of the bike I had previously, and the bike I have now. It's not like I'm doing my own supermoto shoot out. Also, I rode a Husky 610, which has more CC than my DRZ....I thought my DRZ had much more balls than the 610 I rode. It was completely stock though.

Drz could have sworn was 291...the reason I say its so heavy is disregarding the fact we know the drz is already heavy...your bikes weight is like 50 pounds more than a smr...best of luck though

Shhhh... some don't know about the 6 speed gear box :smirk:

lol. I know a guy Cliff from wakeworld who said he knows you. He's a real cool guy.

Drz could have sworn was 291...the reason I say its so heavy is disregarding the fact we know the drz is already heavy...your bikes weight is like 50 pounds more than a smr...best of luck though

Thanks dude. Best of luck to you too.

lol. I know a guy Cliff from wakeworld who said he knows you. He's a real cool guy.

Oh good god NOOOOoooooOOOOOoooOOOOOoooo... you know Cliffy ... so sorry :lol:

Yes he is a good guy... I still feel bad for him braking his leg trying to keep up with me :smirk: ...

But you are right about the 690 and it being lighter than the DRZ :lol: my 450SMR weighs in at 243, also the 690 is a street oriented bike vs my 450 SMR and Shhhhhhhh... the Maintenance on my race bike (the smr) has been easy peeeeeaaaasy :lol: but then again.. I am lucky and know 2 guys that know a ton about these bikes and one builds the motors for these :lol:

Just like the Z make sure do to regular oil changes at about 700 miles :lol: Did your's come with the Slipper clutch?? if so how does it work on the street ? and ... do you have the Cush hub ? I just got one for mine and it's wild the lost feel in the rear when you are backing it in :bonk:

You will be happy with your new bike :banghead:

I have a friend that picked up a KTM 690SMC cant remember the year for $8,000 with 350km. He has only had one problem and thats is speedo crapped out during a wet week we had. Bike sat out side uncovered.

He is a new rider so we are evenly matched in town. Once we get on the Hwy he kills me!

Total investment in my drz around $14,000

My buddies ktm690 $8,000

It's a no brainier from where I'm sitting :bonk:

safe riding :smirk:

How old was which one? The one trail tech admitted to being defictive that killed my stator, or the new, guaranteed non-defective one that killed my stator. Put it this way, when I parted out my DRZ, I refused to sell the "non-defective" flywheel to anyone because I never want anyone to go through the crap I did with it. Also, every time I did a stoppie my motor would die. Check out my pics on the 2nd page of the thread linked below. I honestly don't know &%$#@! trail tech is thinking continuing to sell these flywheels. I'm not the only one whose had issues with their trail tech flywheel, and DRZ is not the only bike that's had issues. Oh and when you have problems trail tech will point fingers at anything and everything they can to take fault away from then. They will also tell you about how their not responsible for failures and will tell you about a no-fault document that they had a lawyer draft up.

http://www.thumperta...-their-stroker/

interesting. after reading your 1st post, i wondered why it took 2 stators to dump the trailtech flywheel. now i see.

real sh!tty deal on trail techs part.

it's one thing to sell a defective part. different story selling a defective part that can ruin a motor.

ever since i read about the trail tech flywheel causing problems with the thumper talk drz470 & my own experience with bad customer service for a POS lynx speedo i bought from them, i'll never give them any more of my $

sorry to hear about your problems & good luck with the new bike.