Sign in to follow this  

New to me 250x

Just got a 2008 250x. The guy I got it from bought it new as a leftover just last August. Traded my2007 450r for it. The 450r was just to much for what I needed. Looking forward to lurking over here now and see what I can learn.

• Like 1

Well what do you wanna know? Tricks, recommened parts? Quick and cheap performance upgrades?

Well its got an fmf q4 exhaust and has been re-jetted. Do to my injury I cant really test it right now. What the most common mods or upgrades? Might just keep it stock unless there are some "must have" mods to do. Was cold when I started it when I was looking at it. Seemed like it cranked along time with the choke on before it fired. Is this normal or point to some carb tuning. Seemed to fire up quickly once it was warmed up.

Thanks

Jim

Mine always was alittle hard to start cold, the better it is jetted the easier cold starting gets. You have a AM exhaust, you might as well open up the airbox as well...jetting will be needed to compensate. Radiator guards.... rads are real easily squashed when the bike falls over. I recommend the type with a "cage around the rads, not just a brace....Unibiker, Flatland, Scorpion, Bulletproof, Mohard etc. The 08 should not need the accelerator pump mod. 13/51 sprockets are real popular mod for these bikes. Getting rid of the bog (jetting),Rad grd and gearing are the only 3 mods that I see as mudt do. Everything else is rider and preference. Skid plate and barkbuster if you ride offroad.

• Like 1

Well its got an fmf q4 exhaust and has been re-jetted. Do to my injury I cant really test it right now. What the most common mods or upgrades? Might just keep it stock unless there are some "must have" mods to do. Was cold when I started it when I was looking at it. Seemed like it cranked along time with the choke on before it fired. Is this normal or point to some carb tuning. Seemed to fire up quickly once it was warmed up.

Thanks

Jim

Well if the gas line was off or if the bike was just sitting a while it takes a good bit of cranking to get it going, try twisting the throttle two or three times then start cranking. Um opening um the airbox helps and look up the pink wire mod...These will help a decent amount. Since it already has an FMF that is another main thing you can do.

Mine always was alittle hard to start cold, the better it is jetted the easier cold starting gets. You have a AM exhaust, you might as well open up the airbox as well...jetting will be needed to compensate. Radiator guards.... rads are real easily squashed when the bike falls over. I recommend the type with a "cage around the rads, not just a brace....Unibiker, Flatland, Scorpion, Bulletproof, Mohard etc. The 08 should not need the accelerator pump mod. 13/51 sprockets are real popular mod for these bikes. Getting rid of the bog (jetting),Rad grd and gearing are the only 3 mods that I see as mudt do. Everything else is rider and preference. Skid plate and barkbuster if you ride offroad.

I've got the Scorpions and I like them!

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm

must read for all 250x owners, ton of info.

Pink wire mod does not do much with stock cams. If you put the R cam the motor will rev a little freer and slight indrease in peak HP, The pink wire resets the ignition map (to suit higher rpm) and resets the rev limiter 500 rpm higher.

• Like 1

I am in LOVE with my 08. FMF Q4 w/stock header, lid removed on the airbox, geared 14/50, 110 rear tire, pink wire, stock jets, HID, Baja Designs stator, Dualsport America kit (soon to be plated) and TT Voyager. A bit cold blooded but once its warmed up look out, bike screams but still sips gas and runs cool.