Sign in to follow this  

Cam cap dowels

I took apart the top end on my 07 for the first time yesterday. The exhaust cam cap had dowels in all four holes but the intake only had two. I don't think I dropped any in the engine. Do I need to get dowels for those holes or are they supposed to be like that?

i believe there is 2 in each cap. Maybe somebody else lost one. Pull off your fly wheel cover. Thats usually were it ends up

yes, but on the '11 and '12 and maybe it is '09 and up, there are only 2 dowel pins, and they are diagonally opposed on the left front and rear right. I thought it was weird too that the cylinder and the head only have 2 dowel pins, but there looks to be a reamed hole for a third in one of the bolt holes. I did drop a cylinder dowel once in my '11 and it went to the bottom of the crankcase. I could not see it because it was under the oil below the crank webs. I was able to get it with a magnet on a stick though. If you lose a dowel, definitely be sure to locate it. Could cause some major damage if left in there loose and engine is started. I would check a parts diagram for your specific year model to be sure of the locations and number of dowel pins your head assy has.

Yes, 09 and up has a onepiece cap instead of 2 separate ones. 07 has 2 in each cap.

so '08 and below has a two-piece retainer like a CRF? I like the Kawi single piece personally (easier, stronger, nice dementional stability in my mind)), except all of that metal can likely limit oil on the top. On the CRF, there is nothing in the way of it getting a good bath.