Sign in to follow this  

question about my all balls steering stem bearing kit

I already removed the old bearings. bottom was shot

The bearing kit comes with 2 rubber base seals the 2 needle bearings and then 2 silver rings that i assume go over the bearings. DO i install these rings? my bearings that came off my bike did not have these.

also, when iinstalling the bottom, I have the clamp and stem in the fridge for now and then im going to back my bearing to 200F, will a simple pipe and a hammer do?

thanks

-J

Ah I see thete stuck in place..in the.bike.. should I change them out ? The rings look like there in good shape

Ah I see thete stuck in place..in the.bike.. should I change them out ? The rings look like there in good shape

Knockem out and replace, if the bearing was shot so too will be the seat.

Cone and cup..

CUP:

The bearing's outer ring that sits on the housing and remains stationary during rotation.

CONE:

The bearing's inner ring that is fixed to and/or pressed onto a rotating shaft.That "silver ring" is the cup, and yes it needs to be replaced.

Drive the old ones out using a purpse built tool, or a make shift one. Drive in the new ones using the correct tool to do so without damage.

A long brass punch, hammer, and block of wood can be used... but only with caution, and skill to get the job done without damage.

I use these

par_08_ste_tub_bea_ins.jpg

par_07_ste_rac_rem.jpg

par_08_ste_rac_pre.jpg

All made by Park Tools

also, when iinstalling the bottom, I have the clamp and stem in the fridge for now and then im going to back my bearing to 200F, will a simple pipe and a hammer do?

Yes pretty much,, just go easy.. and your on the right path freezing the stem and then heat the bearing

I tried dremeling out the "silver rings" that are inside the frame but im getting rather close to the frame and dont want to scuff into it. ive tried chiseling with a hammer but that is becoming difficult because of the angle of hitting the race. Ive tried hitting from the bottom with so many diffirent things but i dont have enough lip to make direct contact. I read a long punch might do the trick but i barely have any lip to hit the races. i saw the link to the tool for remove the race but need something this weekend. I wonder how much a shop would charge me to pop out my old races if i brought the frame to them

You picked a bit of a challenge if these are the first races you've had to change. Just keep wacking at them, once they loosen they'll go better because you'll expose the whole side of the race. You have to keep hitting them from each point around the outside using a long round chisel that has a flat face on it, Go back and forth from spot to spot like you are torqueing down a cylinder head. You should be using something fairly heavy like a plumbers hammer to do this. If you go too heavy you'll find that the races will jam up.

Don't let the chisel slip and ride down the bearing part of the race when putting the new ones in. Cheap bearings will actually chip and you also run the risk of denting the race. You'll feel it when you've driven the race home because the chisel will jump more. Once you get to that point whack it all the way around to make sure it's in flat.

Steve

I tried dremeling out the "silver rings" that are inside the frame but im getting rather close to the frame and dont want to scuff into it. ive tried chiseling with a hammer but that is becoming difficult because of the angle of hitting the race. Ive tried hitting from the bottom with so many diffirent things but i dont have enough lip to make direct contact. I read a long punch might do the trick but i barely have any lip to hit the races. i saw the link to the tool for remove the race but need something this weekend. I wonder how much a shop would charge me to pop out my old races if i brought the frame to them

Run a weld around the inside of the race and they will just drop out. Just remember not to weld it to the frame :smirk:

Edited by wild0

If i had a welder i would!... my friend is out of town for a few days so maybe if i cant get them off by then he can do that for me... would putting a torch to the race help?

Chisel is a the wrong tool, as it has,,, well a chisel tip. You want something with a squared off edge. So the edge of the tool is along the side of the tool itself .. As you noticed there is little room to grab a bite of that cup.. A punch with a fresh ground end is a better tool then chisel for this job. Better still a race punch as seen above.

BRP4.jpg