Sign in to follow this  

Camper vs cargo trailer?

Untill this spring iv only been taking day trips to my local track, but I'm gonna try my hand at some big races this year. So what's the best way to go, a simple 6x12 cargo trailer or a luxurious ~30ft travel trailer? Obviously some comfort is nice but I'm on a budget. How much space do I really need for a 2 day event? Obviously a toy hauled is the way to go but that's a bit beyond my price range...

I'm sure everyone had different preferences and I really don't want to spend a few grand on something in just gonna grow out of

Please share your wisdom with us beginners

I just stepped up from a basic, plain jane cargo trailer to a 22' hybrid travel trailer (hard sides, with tent trailer like ends that fold out for sleeping area).

Bang for the buck, IDK why I didn't do this sooner. For what I sold my cargo trailer for, I added $500 to the pile and got a furnace, mattress, ac, fridge, hot and cold running water (SHOWER), toilet, stove, nuker, etc etc.

Light weight unit, weighs about 4200 lbs dry. Putting the bikes in the back of the truck.

I guess you have to narrow down a few things.

Do you want the trailer more for sleeping or for bike storage?

If your just looking for sleeping, then you may be able to find a cheap pop-up that you can trail behind your truck and throw the bikes in the truck bed. Or you can step it up and get something like Chickenhauler, alot nicer and still more affordable than a toy hauler. If sleeping and creature comforts are your main concern.

If your more concerned about loading all your tools, bikes and gear, I would lean towards an enclosed. We used a 5x10 for the last 10 years, I built some shelves and outfitted it more for bike storage. We slept in a tent most times, but if it was too wet, we were able to lock the bikes outside and throw a mattress on the floor of the enclosed and stay alittle warmer and dryer.

For me, I love the enclosed. I love being able to carry spare parts for the bike, my tools, gear etc... and when I get home, just unload the bike and park the trailer till next weekend. Love it so much, we outgrew the 10' and I'm currently (slowly) working on setting up my new 20ft enclosed to be alittle more comfy. I've got 12' outfitted for a garage and 8ft plus the small wedge nose set aside to build some bunks and "home" storage.

Ultimately, if I stay at this long enough, I'll get a toy hauler. But, financially it won't happen for prob another 10 years. too many other things to keep up with. Until then, this 20' enclosed is going to get some use!!!

There's also the Hobby style trailer where you can fold bunks up and roll the bikes in the middle. I personally don't like this. I would rather have the bikes seperated at all times from the living area. Just my preference, as I have friends who have a hobbie style and they love it. For me, I want to keep the clean area clean and the muddy area muddy! ha!

Good luck.

I like to go camping and trail riding up in Sequoia National Forest so I went with a micro hauler (12 ft toy hauler), under 10 grand new, carries two bikes, sleeps two (if you can stand each other), shower, toilet, heater, kitchen, etc. I wanted it to do everything.

Edited by dirt duchess

I like to go camping and trail riding up in Sequoia National Forest so I went with a micro hauler (12 ft toy hauler), under 10 grand new, carries two bikes, sleeps two (if you can stand each other), shower, toilet, heater, kitchen, etc. I wanted it to do everything.

Who makes this micro hauler? And what's the weight?

I just stepped up from a basic, plain jane cargo trailer to a 22' hybrid travel trailer (hard sides, with tent trailer like ends that fold out for sleeping area).

Bang for the buck, IDK why I didn't do this sooner. For what I sold my cargo trailer for, I added $500 to the pile and got a furnace, mattress, ac, fridge, hot and cold running water (SHOWER), toilet, stove, nuker, etc etc.

Light weight unit, weighs about 4200 lbs dry. Putting the bikes in the back of the truck.

what trailer did you buy??

what trailer did you buy??

Bought a 2001 Bantam Trail Lite by R-vision. $2k.

Don't have any pics of mine (it's crammed in the back of my shed awaiting the spring thaw).

Everything works, but the floor is spongy around the door-previous owner had a tire blow and that damaged the membrane underneath, allowing water to infiltrate. Being it's all aluminum framed, that will be a simple fix.