Sign in to follow this  

Stator cover questions

No I didn't put a hole in the cover... the inspection plug has seized... and I mean seized!!!

I can't get the bugger of a thing undone! I took the cover off, drilled a hole down the centre of the plug, tapped it m10 then threaded in a bolt with a flange nut sandwiching the plug either side... I sheared the m10 gr 10.8 bolt. Yes I have heated the hell out of it.

I'm giving up, this thing is stuck.

Could anyone tell me if the S and SM stator covers are the same as the E?

Cheers, Will.

No I didn't put a hole in the cover... the inspection plug has seized... and I mean seized!!!

I can't get the bugger of a thing undone! I took the cover off, drilled a hole down the centre of the plug, tapped it m10 then threaded in a bolt with a flange nut sandwiching the plug either side... I sheared the m10 gr 10.8 bolt. Yes I have heated the hell out of it.

I'm giving up, this thing is stuck.

Could anyone tell me if the S and SM stator covers are the same as the E?

Cheers, Will.

common when over tightened..

All covers on an E start DRZ are the same, except some color changes over the years.. BUT any NEW cover will be the latest painted no matter what model ordered for.

The stuck plug is removed from an otherwise good cover with a sharp chisel, 45deg angle of attack and a good smack and the chisel will dig in, and unscrew the plug.

alternately,, you can drill a 1/4" hole in the plug about 1/4" from the outside edge, make it 1/8 deep so as to not bust through the back side and dump shavings in the stator area... then use a 3/16 punch to drive the plug CCW....

I have tried the centre punch and a chisel to no avail. I'm worried about cracking the casing. The most annoying part is I didn't even do it up last :'(

I guess it doesn't matter if I bugger it as I can't see any other way of getting it out (I don't have a mill at my disposal anymore :smirk:).

Thanks.

EDIT: Brute force approach still isn't working. Going to drill as large as I can, then run a weld around the inside in the hope of contracting the plug so I can unscrew it.

Edited by wild0

assuming its stuck due to corrosion, and not overtightening, take the stator cover off, and use a blow lamp to heat the area

do this few times to break the bond

As the cover is mag, and the bolt is steel, the mag will expand more and release the bolt

If its due to being overtightened - brute force will do it

If you wreck the hexagon, drill it through, tap a thread in it and put a bolt in from the inside and use this to undo from the inside.

Drill a large hole on the plug then cut it in half from the ID.

Thanks for the help guys :smirk:

6774312403_3896fc3350_z.jpg

Having worked in a bike shop for 18 months I came across my fair share of stuck fasteners, but nothing this bad!