Sign in to follow this  

Much Difference from 14 to 15 countersprocket?

Have an 02 E, not even broken in yet. Job, family, and kids have had me broken in. Time for a change!

Need to clean pilot-won't idle w/out choke. Had jetting all set up years ago following eddie's suggestions.Had a Yosh, but way too loud. Stock pipe with some extra holes around exhaust outlet and 3x3. Have the bike licensed in AZ, so I will be taking it out on the road maybe 15% of the time getting from trails to home/town. Stock gearing is great for dirt, but tached out on street.

I know the stock counter sprocket is a 14 on the E, but will it be a noticeable performance difference going to a 15 in the dirt? Dirt is my focus. I will also be riding at around 4000 feet.

BTW, would it be advisable to just start off with the moose countershaft kit, 271 locktite on sprocket/shaft, or maybe wait till I get a few miles on it?

Thanks,

TB

15T will be ok ?? Depends on where your riding off road and what's on the rear...47?..Slow technical stuff will be too tall but open fire trails no problem.....

You really need to try the 15 to see if that works for you...

Use the stock DXP needle on clip #4 or EMP needle on clip #3 and 155 main jet for 3,000ft+

Edited by craigodrz400sm

I run 15/47 no worries on my DRZ, use for everything from high country single trail to fast desert sand tracks. I have found it to be the best comprimise with the standard motor.

I'm running 14/45, very similar without a problem, comfortable at around 85-90 KPH, 55 MPH.

Unless your running all single track 15/47 will work fine, makes it less buzzy on the transport sections but still low enough for anything but the worst conditions.

imho, 14/47 is significantly better on tight single track than 15/47 (or, in my case, 14/44, but that works out pretty much the same). it is also significantly better for tight steep hills with no run up.

everywhere else, it doesn't make much difference. and you can certainly do the tight technical stuff with 15/47...but 14/47 does make it easier--at least for me, it does.

I didn't realize it at the time, but when I got my S used, it had a 14/44 combo. I had assumed it was the stock 15/44. I was impressed at how well, what I assumed, was stock gearing did offroad and was a little annoyed at how freeway speeds seemed to have the motor turning a bit fast. But I always wish my bikes had an overdrive for top gear. So I assumed it was just me. It wasn't until I went to check if the countershaft sprocket nut was tight that I realized the PO had changed it to a 14 tooth sprocket.

When I replaced the chain and sprockets I went with a 15/47 combo. I just couldn't imagine trying to anything other than fire roads with the stock 15/44 and the 14/44 was a decent compromise on the street. I went with a 15/47 instead of another 14/44 because I was able to get a really inexpensive aluminum 47 from Rocky Mountain ATV. Plus that way, I can throw the old 14 on real quick if I'm going to be doing any dirt only riding.

The type of riding I do is lots of fire roads and off highway roads. That being said, washouts, ruts, rocks, sand can are always an issue. Rear sprocket is stock(47?) So yeah, technical stuff does come up. Just don't want to dink with it when I'm away from home, since I leave the bike stored up at a piece of property I own. So I'm trying to set it corrrectly beforehand.

Eddie has me on the EMM needle-don't know what clip off hand, 160 main, and I won't know the pilot till I get in there again-PAIN IN THE A**. It was too small though since I had to turn out the air/fuel screw too much. Smooth and powerful w/ that setup @ 1000 feet.

14/47 is the lowest I've gone on my "S" and man, I loved going off road with it. But on the highway It was tough going 60 at 6500 RPM's. I think 15/47 is a pretty good medium as has been stated previously. Reading that thread about the wide ratio DRZ gearing (for $1600.00) has me drooling. 14/47 and still 70 MPH no problem. If I can get the old lady to hock her wedding ring, I'm going to take the plunge and re-gear.

I love 15/47 on my DRZ. Handles everything I can and want to ride with no issues. Been across CO and UT on the TransAmTrail, long miles of sandy/rocky stuff in Terlingua TX (Big Bend) and all the local riding spots. It is a nice sweet spot in the gearing. I started with a 13/47 from the PO and it was a tractor for sure! felt like it would idle up a cliff with no clutch :bonk: but the top end wasn't much to talk about :smirk:

The type of riding I do is lots of fire roads and off highway roads. That being said, washouts, ruts, rocks, sand can are always an issue. Rear sprocket is stock(47?) So yeah, technical stuff does come up. Just don't want to dink with it when I'm away from home, since I leave the bike stored up at a piece of property I own. So I'm trying to set it corrrectly beforehand.

Eddie has me on the EMM needle-don't know what clip off hand, 160 main, and I won't know the pilot till I get in there again-PAIN IN THE A**. It was too small though since I had to turn out the air/fuel screw too much. Smooth and powerful w/ that setup @ 1000 feet.

The EMN needle clip #3 or stock DXP needle , clip #5 and 160mj for 0 to 3,000ft....2.25 turns on the fuel screw...Stock pilot is a #45

Get an R&D Flex jet fuel screw for easy adjustment..http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=817]

To install the Flex Jet.You will need to slightly enlarge the fuel screw orifice on the bowl with a drill.(.easy job)

Edited by craigodrz400sm

The R&D Flex pilot screw is already on it's way, along with the TT manual chain adjuster from the TT store. I have had really good luck with the EMM, maybe it's the one Eddie/Sudco suggested back in 03. Still have stock needle though. I'm really going to blast the passages with carb cleaner and the air gun as this is the 3rd time with this prob. Will increase size to probably 45 on pilot. Got a new diaphram and o ring for the accel. pump for insurance. Forget what I set the adjustable pilot air screw to. MAYBE just put the stock one back in.

Still on the countershaft, has ANYONE found the need for the countershaft fix?

Thanks,

TB