Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter spring missing!

My new to me 06 CRF 450Xis getting her clean up and first service and as I remove the oil filter I had to pry it out sort of and realise straight away, no spring in behind it! Just wondering if anyone knows what sort of damage could have been done or probles that could arise?

My new to me 06 CRF 450Xis getting her clean up and first service and as I remove the oil filter I had to pry it out sort of and realise straight away, no spring in behind it! Just wondering if anyone knows what sort of damage could have been done or probles that could arise?

Not good, but maybe no damage, just pre-mature wear.

The spring, as I understand it, also acts as a 'blow-by' circuit in case the filter gets clogged.

Hopefully, this is the first

Krannie is correct in that, if and when a filter is over pressurised the element will 'lift' away becoming unseated, dirty oil is better than no oil. The only negative that I can think of is, no filtering since the spring is gone. I wouldn't think that it would be too severe, keep an eye on it and if you want send it out for spectroanlysis to see a break down of the 'metal' that may or may not be there.

Not good, but maybe no damage, just pre-mature wear.

The spring, as I understand it, also acts as a 'blow-by' circuit in case the filter gets clogged.

Hopefully, this is the first

Actually, you're both incorrect. The spring only exists to keep the filter seated against the filter cover. Oil flow is such that oil pressure pushes the filter towards the filter cover. Oil flows through the filter from the outside in, then into the filter cover and back to the sump through passages in the filter cover and case cover. There's a bypass valve inside the case cover, retained with a circlip, that releases if the filter is plugged. This valve can get stuck open with debris (I've seen it happen) if maintenance is neglected. It's always a good idea to remove the bypass valve and check it for proper operation or to be sure it's not stuck any time you have the case cover removed.

A missing spring has been a common occurance in my experience, at least on the many Honda's I've worked on. I guess it gets forgotten or dropped on the floor. Most of the time it's not an issue because oil pressure had fortunately kept the filter seated against the cover and the rubber seal on the filter will hold it on there while the engine is off, but on occasion the filter will just be floating around inside the housing, therefore not filtering the oil. Most likely it fell off during loading or transporting the bike. So basically the spring keeps the filter seated while the engine is off and provides positive retainment.

Here's a picture. Bypass valve is #4

imagebn.png

cheers for your responses, i've ordered a newie and thats stuffed my ideas of riding on the weekend!

Actually Sir, YOU are wrong, in the diagram that I post right here, http://www.babbittsonline.com/honda-motorcycle-parts#/Honda/CRF450X_A_(05)

_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2PE060-5K000001_TO_JH2PE060-5K099999/LEFT_CRANKCASE_COVER/CRF450X-05-JPN-A/2Y14MEY5MEY4E1000F

#4 is listed as a "relief valve assembly" in the system. You are correct that the oil flow is from the outside to in for more surface area, the oil pump is gear driven positive displacement. If the relief doesn't work the spring holding the filter will unseat bypassing the filter preventing over pressurization.

• Like 1

I'll settle this...

"Right" is with the sping "In".

"Wrong" is when the spring is "Missing"

There ! Everybody happy ?

• Like 1

I'll settle this...

"Right" is with the sping "In".

"Wrong" is when the spring is "Missing"

There ! Everybody happy ?

+1 :smirk:

If it runs good, pop a fresh filter /spring/oil and go ride! It may have bypassed some oil from the filter in the past, but a quick compression check will let you know where you really stand.