Sign in to follow this  

Moving up from a crf230L to a better enduro bike

Alright guys, I'm 5ft 8in. tall, about 5ft 10in in full gear, and weigh about 135 pounds. I'm looking to move up from my crf230l to something larger, I was think a crf250x, but if the difference between a crf230l and crf450x is not to big, I consider myself a fairly good rider, I would just move up to a crf450x. I've also considered getting a cr250 and switching out the sprockets for trail riding. What do you guys think, I'm also open to other brands of bike.

Your going to see a big power diff. between your 230 and any 250 including the 250x. I am 5'9 155 lbs, have been ridding for 28 years. After many bikes, I have learned that bigger does not mean faster. I myself can go faster on a 250 than a 450 any day of the week. Reason being is because I can throw the 250 around and ride it so much harder than the 450. Now you can change suspension, power delivery on a 450 to make it more suitable to your type of ridding and size, etc if you have the bucks . What type of ridding are you going to be doing? I've found in my years that when choosing a bike the more versatile the bike the fun factor goes way up. A older 250 2 stroke can def. be made to do any type of ridding you want it to and it can be done a lot cheaper than modifying a 4 stroke. Have you ridden many 2 strokes? The Yamaha makes a bullet proof 250 2 stroke that they are still producing. Also think about the KTM's they make an awesome 200 and 250 2 stroke that is already set up for the woods. Going to enduro's or harescrambles these days it's about 70% KTM. What is your budget?

The difference between a CRF230 and a CRF450X is huge. The CRF230 is Honda's beginner entry level trail bike, produces around 16-18 hp and is quite heavy for the power it produces. The CRF450X produces about 42-44 hp..the CR250 2t produces even more hp with a snappy delivery. The difference between your bike and those 2 is enormous. The 450X also weighs about 20 pounds more than the 230 (about 270 lbs wet), which is a hell of alot of weight for someone thats 135 lbs. I am 6' 185 lbs and my WR426 (about the same weight as the 450X) would wear me out. There is nothing wrong with the CRF230, but I think you would be better off stepping up to something in between...Im not a 250F fan, but you would be better off on a 250X than the other 2..if you can tolerate/afford the maintenance. As mentioned, you might check out a KTM 200 EXC/XC. I went to a KTM 300 XC and love the bike.

Just another option, check out the GasGas bikes...After coming from a YZ250 I can tell you for trail riding(or racing in my case) my GasGas EC300 is much better than a converted MX bike. It has top end power like the YZ did but with 450f like low end power. Its awesome. I have ridden many KTM's as well and can attest to them being awesome machines. I just find the GasGas to fit me and handle a bit better, also they can be found a bit cheaper since their not as popular as KTM.

Alright, sounds like the crf250x would be the best idea, but any comments on modifying the cr250r for enduro? I can get one for a lot cheaper then a 250x, so that would leave me some cash for mods.

Alright, sounds like the crf250x would be the best idea, but any comments on modifying the cr250r for enduro? I can get one for a lot cheaper then a 250x, so that would leave me some cash for mods.

Be sure to consider maintenance time, and cost. The race-bred 250Fs require more than anything else out there, and you are coming off one of the lowest maintenance machines on the market. The maintenance cost difference between your CRF230 and a 250 4 stroke competition machine will be significant.

I wouldn't discount a 2 stroke 200-250cc bike, for light-weight, lots of power, and lower maintenance cost.

you mentioned you have a CRF230L, that is street legal, the crf250x is not street legal, are you trying to stay with a street legal only upgrade?