Sign in to follow this  

Are bigger two strokes more peaky?

I rode a 2003 CR85RB for a little bit and hated it. Why? Because it was soooooo freaking PEAKY! The sudden burst of power caused me to crash twice in one day. So my question is if the 125s, 250s, and 500s are less peaky than 85s.

cr85 has no power valve, no power valve means it runs more like a typical 2 stroke with very little bottem end and a big hit near the middle.

I rode a 2003 CR85RB for a little bit and hated it. Why? Because it was soooooo freaking PEAKY! The sudden burst of power caused me to crash twice in one day. So my question is if the 125s, 250s, and 500s are less peaky than 85s.

I take it your fairly new to riding MX bikes. Welcome to the sport! Generally, the bigger the engine the less peaky the power is. No one could ride a 250 or 500 on the track if their power came on like an 85. A stock CR500 is the opposite of peaky--it's power is made from idle through about 6000rpm. The 85 has to be peaky, because that's the only way the little engine is able to generate the 18-20 horsepower they typically have to be competitive. If the 85 was configured to have nice smooth power, it would probably lose 5 horses.

That said, the power hit is the reason why a lot of guys prefer 2-strokes. Once you get used to it and over the intimidation, it's a real rush to feel the bike hit that certain rpm, and then suddenly become demon possessed. My son learned to ride on a YZ85 when he was 11, and it took him about a year before he really learned how to take advantage of the powerband, now he loves it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I take it your fairly new to riding MX bikes. Welcome to the sport! Generally, the bigger the

engine the less peaky the power is. No one could ride a 250 or 500 on the track if their power came on like an 85. A stock CR500 is the opposite of peaky--it's power is made from idle through about 6000rpm. The 85 has to be peaky, because that's the only way the little engine is able to generate the 18-20 horsepower

they typically have to be competitive. If the 85 was configured to have nice smooth power, it would probably lose 5 horses.

That said, the power hit is the reason why a lot of guys prefer 2-strokes. Once you get used to it

and over the intimidation, it's a real rush to feel the bike hit that certain rpm, and then suddenly become demon possessed. My son learned to ride on a YZ85 when he was 11, and it took him about a year before he really learned how to take advantage of the powerband, now he loves it.

Ok, well no more 85s for me. I might try out a 125 or 250, or whatever my dad's friend is getting. As for how long i have been riding MX bikes, about 2-3 years out of 8 total. My first year, or about half of a riding season was spent on the cr85 sometimes, and more on a CRF 100. Plus on a TTR 125 bw some of the time. Then the rest of those two years till current i have been riding my 2008 CRF 150RB. That thing is so awesome, its got so much more bottom end torque, and the satisfaction of hitting a real rev limiter. One of the really annoying things about the 85 besides it being peaky was that it would bog under full throttle even at high rpm. So full throttle was basically useless, my 150 has low rpm bog at full throttle, but nothing like the 85's.

Guess i have to go try out a cr 500 now *Shaking in fear*

Ok, well no more 85s for me. I might try out a 125 or 250, or whatever my dad's friend is getting. As for how long i have been riding MX bikes, about 2-3 years out of 8 total. My first year, or about half of a riding season was spent on the cr85 sometimes, and more on a CRF 100. Plus on a TTR 125 bw some of the time. Then the rest of those two years till current i have been riding my 2008 CRF 150RB. That thing is so awesome, its got so much more bottom end torque, and the satisfaction of hitting a real rev limiter. One of the really annoying things about the 85 besides it being peaky was that it would bog under full throttle even at high rpm. So full throttle was basically useless, my 150 has low rpm bog at full throttle, but nothing like the 85's.

Well then, the CRF150RB is probably the bike you ought to be planning for. They're competitive race bikes for sure. Because you're right, you're never going to get the satisfaction of a real rev limiter on an 85cc 2-stroke. :smirk:

Edited by plynn41

One of the really annoying things about the 85 besides it being peaky was that it would bog under full throttle even at high rpm. So full throttle was basically useless

I'm guessing you need to learn a little more about setting up and riding a 2 stroke. When I had a CR80, this was never an issue. Generally, issues like this are operator error.

no offense but if youre bogging at full throttle you have jetting issues. i agree with kcdavis, you need to learn how setup

I'm guessing you need to learn a little more about setting up and riding a 2 stroke. When I had a CR80, this was never an issue. Generally, issues like this are operator error.

x2. if youre bogging at full throttle, you have jetting issues. once again, a poorly jetted 2 stroke completely skews someones opinion on 2 strokes for life. long live the 4 stroke.

Guess i have to go try out a cr 500 now *Shaking in fear*

You don't have to fear it, just respect the copious amount of power on tap at any rpm from idle on up. A 500T is actually very friendly to ride if you lug it around and don't get all "whiskey throttle" on it. But don't ever forget, it has more than enough power to seriously hurt you if you carelessly unleash it. A CR/KX500 will dig a trench six inches deep through every gear with the front wheel never touching the ground if that's what you tell it to do.

I remember when the 125 Honda Elsinore's came out very well as a buddy's kid brother had one he raced. He talked me into riding it (A 125? Come on!) but my previous experience was four strokes and one Yamaha DT250. I remember looking over at him as it was bogging along at WOT and that is exactly when it hit the pipe. When I got stopped he was laughing so hard he was doubled over. I am sure the look on my face was pretty funny! I am pretty sure it was just luck I did not crash. I don't think my KX500 hits the pipe like that, but it does not need to. It just pulls hard, and if you get it on the pipe it pulls harder still. As said above:It will pull as hard and as long as you tell it to right up until you realize you are about a light year past your experience level.