Sign in to follow this  

KTM woods/all-purpose bike '00 200xc or '97 300mxc? Better deal?

I'm looking at two used bikes and was wondering if there are any drawbacks to either one that I should know about. I'm looking to mainly trail/woods ride, but an occasional run around an easy mx track. Going to try a hare scramble for the first time this year too. (bucket list thing)

I found a '97 KTM 300mxc for $1000, been sitting a couple years, but ran great when parked.

AND a 2000 KTM 200xc in good shape, 2 rides on new top end, a few extras(barkbusters, etc.) for $1500.

I'm kind of leaning toward the 200 because it weighs significantly less and the hp is pretty close to the 300, but I have always been told the 300 "lugs like a 4t" and that they are easy to ride anywhere. I'm 43, 6'1", and 175 lbs. I've mainly ridden street, some trail riding, and I currently race flattrack at a local AM level.

Anything wrong with either bike that I should be aware of? I've never ridden a KTM 2t before...

Is the 200 going to be a decent lugger too? Or a pipey 2t?

Any input would be great! Thx...

Edited by verticaltwin

Im not sure I would want to buy a 15 year old bike that has been sitting up for a couple of years...sounds like a money pit to me. The 2000 KTM 200 might be a decent deal, but dont trust that it has a new top end unless you know the guy or have paperwork. Its amazing how many bikes on Craigslist have "new top ends". The 200s have decent bottom end power, but nothing like a 300. Of course, the 200s can scream up top. I ride a 2007 300 XC and I can chug as good as any big bore 4t I have owned. The bike also pulls hard up top for a 300. If you want a bike you can really lug, you might hold out for a 300. However, if the 200 is clean, you might give it a try...you can always sell it later and prob get your money back.

Thx for the advice... So the 200 doesn't have the bottom end pull of the 300? But revs up ok? Thats kind of what I was looking for.

Now the guy with the 300 has another one that is in superb shape, new everything... but he wants 2k for it, 3k for both 97's. I'm just one of the working poor and I'm having trouble scraping up 1k!! Maybe if I can come up with 1500 I can make a cash offer on the 97 300mxc...

I may end up settling for4 a mid-90's cr or yz if I can't come up with the money. I'm committed to race in May on Memorial Day and need to get a good bike ASAP. If I don't then I have to ride vintage class on a borrowed Maico 490 and I don't want to die yet...

Thx for the advice!

That is correct. The 200 wont pull down low like a 300, but its alot more pipey. If thats what you are looking for, maybe consider the 200. I am a lugger in tight conditions, so I dont think a 200 would suit me well.

Personally, I dont think I would pay $2K for a 1997...unless I knew everything was new and I never planned to sell it. I would go as new as possible.

I certainly would not want to race a 490 Maico. I see mid 90s CR250s and YZ250s on Craigslist all of the time...they would be alot more snappy than the 200...but overall...not as good on the trail. You can pick up a decent 90s 250 around here for +- $1000

THose prices seam way high to me. My buddy bought a 08 KTM200XC that needed a few things for 2k....300 bucks later its a great bike. My buddy is sellin a 08 300xc for 2600....so 2k for a bike ten years older is alot. 1k for the 300 isnt terrible tho. Im now on a GasGas 300 after coming from a YZ250. the top end is just as strong as the YZ but the bottom end IS AMAZING. I love my buddies KTM200 but would never take it over the smooth low end of the 300. not to mention i can tear it apart on the top end too.

Thanks a lot for the advice... I really appreciate it! Very helpful.

The KTM's seem to hold a bit more value than the Japanese bikes. I've been watching the bikes for sale in my area for quite some time. The 200/250/300 2-strokes like I'm looking for seem to retain a lot of value, $3500 - $3800 for an '07/08 is pretty normal, or $2500 for an '03/04. I'm hoping to get some cash from selling off some spare parts and stuff and get the best bike I can... we'll see what I can come up with! Almost convinced myself to sell my '06/08 KTM 450 flattracker, but its still in the basement (for now). The reason I need a dirtbike is because I traded my old 69 Triumph 500 and a 73 Yamaha DT250 for the KTM... now I'm lacking a streetbike and dirtbike. I can go without street riding, but I need some time in the dirt to keep my sanity!

Thx for the help!

Edited by verticaltwin

I bought a 2006 300xcw new. Had it for a about 2 yrs and was never good enough to ride it in the powerband, so I was always lugging it and it lugs extremely well. But to me it is more fun when I am able to ride a 2-stroke in the powerband. THe 300 took a good bite out of me one day when the power got the best of me. I ended up trading it for a 2006 200xcw and couldnt be happier. The 200 lugs pretty decent (no 300), but goes pretty well when on the pipe and is extremely fun to ride. I have my 200 tuned so that the power is pretty smooth from bottom to top and only takes a tap of the clutch to zing up the rpms.

Thanks for the comparison info... Thats good to know, as I'm no expert rider off-road. I've been leanin toward the '00 200mxc... that is... until:

So I'm coming back home with my bro-in-law on Saturday and I thought it would be cool to stop by the KTM shop and check out the new bikes, as well as look at the used 200mxc for sale. You know, kick the tires in person instead of looking at the pictures on the website. When I ask about it, the guys kinda look at each other funny... then they ask this other dude if its ok if I go look at it. Well, its out back loaded up in his big fancy liftgate race hauler! Now it was clean in the picture on the website, but dirty in the back of the hauler? Have they been taking it out every weekend for their buddies to rag on? They said, "Uh, yeah, some guy is going to test ride it this weekend and see if he wants to buy it". Well, I know a guy that knows a guy and long story short they took it down to Chadwick with about 20 guys and bikes... prolly ragged it out as best they could... bigtime disappointed and the professionalism of the local KTM shop is in question now... I had been talking to them about the bike and letting them know I was almost definitely going to buy it as soon as I came up with the cash... and I know they have no obligation to me, but it just seems crappy to do that to a guy. Especially when I found out the guy loading it up in the hauler was the new KTM dealership owner... like he's test riding the oldest used bike they have with the intent of buying it? I seriously doubt it... I pictured some 300 lb dude out ragging on it all weekend...

Leaning toward a yz250 at this point, just can't afford a KTM unless its 15 years old or totally ragged out... bummer!

I wouldnt knock any of the jap 2-strokes. I have both the 2006 200 and a 2005 cr250 in my garage. I only ride offroad and with a few cheap/minor mods, any of the jap mx bikes will work very well in the woods and much cheaper typically. FWIW, I am riding less and less over the last couple years and am considering selling one bike and it will likely be the ktm and just sticking with the cr.

Not really knocking them... just figured a KTM xc would be set up pretty good stock (plus I like the quality of KTM components like suspension). I'm a yamaha guy from way back and always wanted a newer YZ250, but might have to put a few $ in one to tame it down a bit for trails/woods. Not running in to much for KTM woods bikes in my price range... lol!

Looking into the '97 300mxc, but will probably be better off with a slightly newer CR/YZ 250 and a few mods. We'll see... I need to get moving on it, but the KTM shop antics took the wind out of my sails a bit.

What would you do to a CR or YZ for trail/woods riding?

Edited by verticaltwin

On the faster trails, re-jetting can often be enough. On tighter trails you may need to do some re-gearing. Depends on what your budget is and how serious you are about it.

VT

Dont let a couple of clowns at one KTM shop turn you off of the brand. My local KTM shop really has it together...but there will always be exceptions, I suppose. I understand budget limitations...after all, these bikes are really toys.