Sign in to follow this  

1974 gt80mx

I have been offered a '74 gt80mx and have a few questions about the bike. I'm not familiar with old mini bikes like this. Are these collectable like the mini trails or not so much. It's the mx version of it, yellow, kind of yz lookin. I would probably just get it running and sell it in the spring. It's been sitting in a garage for a few years, good compression, shifter feels fine and goes into gear fine. It seems like if they are original they get decent money but this bike was used and has some signs of wear. Nothing too bad though. What do you think its worth? Since it doesnt run I'm planning on offering the guy a hundred.

Edited by 79yamdt

Not sure about how collectable it is but I do believe that might be the first year of that model.

From the NADA book.

Excellent $2460 Very Good $1990 Good $805 Fair $480

nada is sooooo subjective, unless you find someone who has an affection for that model, you will prob spend more than its worth to get it in good shape. Probably a $500 bike at best, and for that money most people would want a yz or xr

Not as collectible nor do they get the $ as a JT1, JT2 Mini Enduro (60)cc but still a good little bike ...I have a GT80 (street legal version) and a couple of JTs...the GT will be easier to find parts for.....the motor was more modern than the rotary valve 60cc....+1 on the NADA guide...it is really worth what the other guy is willing to pay....'73 may have been the 1st yr,,,,,however not certain

I believe 73 was the first year also. Yeah nada is crap and just about useless especially for older bikes. Yeah that's what I'm afraid of only having a 300 dollar bike at the end of working on it. I found some very nice gt 80's that sold on ebay for 1000-1200. Original tires and everthing.

Always had love for the Yamaha 80's growing up.....

(not me in the pic)

20061201-1164971644199-1980-Yamaha-MX80.jpg

Edited by bigscore

The NADA pricing for vintage bikes is actually pretty spot on.