Sign in to follow this  

shock body worn internal coating, to rebuild or replace?

rebuilding a showa shock off a 1999 rm250. Shock was blown (nitrogen mixed in with oil). Pulled it apart and proceeded to order a pivot works shock rebuild kit.

Last night cleaning all parts up, I discovered that in the shock body where the sealhead goes, about 1/2 way around the diameter and about 1.5 inches down the gold/hardened coating was worn off and could see on one side of the sealhead some wear that corresponded with the wear in the shock body. Likely that the blown shock was causing the sealhead to move up and down.

Anyone else run into this? If so, did you proceed with rebuilding it and did the rebuild last or was it just a waste of time and blow/leak right away?

Trying to decide if I should install the $80 rebuild kit or just buy a used working shock off of ebay.

Seems like if it is built correctly, the sealhead will not be moving and the worn body should not be a issue, but I am a bit of a amature with the shock rebuilding.

Anybody rebuild with worn coating? What were your results?

it's from the seal head moving while the shock was low on oil , as long as you can get a seal from the o ring on the seal head it should be ok