Sign in to follow this  

Low effort throttle tubes

I have carpal tunnel sydrome (hands go numb) and trying to do everything I can to reduce the vibration and hand strength needed.

When they're going numb (mostly from the vibration) the extra (small though it is) effort of twisting the throttle adds to the problem.

I've seen some really nice aluminum throttle tubes with ball bearings for super smooth throttle action, but they dont' seem to make them for the XR's.

ANybody adapted CR or other to work on our bikes?

If not, then I'm 'assuming' that if I went to a CR pumper carb that I COULD use the CR throttle tube??

THANKS!

Remove the push cable and readjust the slack in the pull cable. You will find that the effort is substantially reduced.

I've done this mod on every dual-throttle-cable setup I've ever owned and never had problems. Others will tell you it is unsafe. DT may tell you he removed the push cable and a stuck throttle caused a crash on his XR400R. DT is a friend of mine and I believe him, but I suspect he had an install problem. Use your own judgment.

We used to have single-pull-cable carbs for years, on dirt and street bikes of all displacements...

Edited by ramz

well maintained and not greased throttle tube and cables

get your CTS fixed instead

been there, done that, don't miss it at all,

now I picked up Raynaud's instead *sigh*

Try what ramz said,,I agree with him re dual cable setups..Alternatively just buy an el cheapo single cable housing and cable that fits say a Mikuni single carb and adapt the cable (carb end) to fit the Keihin. You can't generally use your old pull cable from your twin system on the single cheap throttle housings because the cable screw in part on the throttle housings are a different sized thread..I run a single el cheapo housing and cable on one of my old twin carb 600s and it is a lot smoother/responsive than the twin system.

Edited by Horri

I'm using a single pull system on my XR400(426) with no ill issues for a few years now, I love the way it snaps back, I couldn't get the twin cables setup like this - despite I've REALLY tried. Worth a try.

not gonna happen. I know too many that it didn't work on. Or it came back.

1 guy they severed a nerve and now it feels like someone putting a cigarette out in his palm.

All the time.

F*** that.

well maintained and not greased throttle tube and cables

get your CTS fixed instead

been there, done that, don't miss it at all,

now I picked up Raynaud's instead *sigh*

I have carpal tunnel sydrome (hands go numb) and trying to do everything I can

I've seen some really nice aluminum throttle tubes with ball bearings for super smooth throttle action, but they dont' seem to make them for the XR's.

ANybody adapted CR or other to work on our bikes?

THANKS!

I agree with fiep. Learn how to manage your CTS. I had a severe case in my left arm/hand by the time I finished my TAT ride to Oregon a few years ago. This set of 5 stretching videos helped me tremendously. They are a part of my normal routine now. You can do them any time/any where.

As for those ball bearing throttle tubes not being made for an XR, Horsesh*t. A 7/8" handlebar grip area is the same on all bikes. Buy the throttle assembly of your choice and have custom cables with the proper ends for the carb and throttle assembly made by someone like Motion Pro, Barnett and the like. Done deal.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

I agree with fiep. Learn how to manage your CTS. I had a severe case in my left arm/hand by the time I finished my TAT ride to Oregon a few years ago. This set of 5 stretching videos helped me tremendously. They are a part of my normal routine now. You can do them any time/any where.

As for those ball bearing throttle tubes not being made for an XR, Horsesh*t. A 7/8" handlebar grip area is the same on all bikes. Buy the throttle assembly of your choice and have custom cables with the proper ends for the carb and throttle assembly made by someone like Motion Pro, Barnett and the like. Done deal.

Awesome! Thanks.

Yeh, it's the different cable ends that don't work.

What do custom cables cost?

MotionPro makes quality part and tools. Never been sorry about buying from them.

First thing I do when I buy a use bike is replace all of the cables. Amazing what a difference it can make.

I've heard good thing about throttles with bearings, but I'm too cheap and run handguards that require the end of the throttle tube to be open.

G2 is another throttle tube that I've read about.

I might be wrong, but I believe pumper carbs are only made for 4-strokes, so you'd have a CRF carb, not a CR carb. Back to the two cables.

Different bars might help with vibration.

I've been trying to grab the bike more with my knees, loser with my arms.

And I just added a steering stabilizer. The result is not as dramatic a change as on my KTM 200SX, I still need to try riding some rocky sections.

Edited by Kev_XR

I did the carpal release surgery on my right hand a couple of years back. This gave me back sensitivity and feeling that I was loosing.

My left hand is not as bad, but does go numb often on long rides making me stop to take breaks to get the feeling back.

Thanks for the stretching tips TR42. I still don't rule out the release surgery on my left hand, but these stretches look like they will help out a good bit.

Perc

I got he CT 15 years ago when i wored at a BF Goodrich tire plant. Was severe then, very mild now. But hands go numb in 20 mintues or so when riding.

I had FasstFlexx bars but they didn't really help much. Have vibration reducing inserts now.

Used to do the stretches every day when I was still working there and they helped some, but had forgotten about them over the years. I'll be doing them again, would be awesome if they help.

Yes meant crF pumper.

So you can't use the bearing throttles with hand guards? That sux.

Thanks guys. :smirk:

I have bad carpal tunnel too, the biggest thing for me is taking glucosamine pills. I take 2 morning and night, best thing in the WORLD. And I sleep with a brace on my wrist.

I removed my push cable too, helped a lot. and mental conditioning to lessen my grip on the bars.

I have early CT, not bad yet except that my right hand goes numb. Here are my fixes:

Learn to use a lighter grip on the throttle.

Use Pillow Top grips, helps a lot.

I also use a single pull CR Pro throttle from Motion Pro (also used on XR200s), but you need to buy a Honda Slider (PN 53169-HB7-010 about $9) to provide a return stop. MotionPro sells cables that will adapt the throttle to the Keihin carb.

The plastic tubes are very low friction, but I lube them with a Teflon or Silicon dry film lube. I also use Teflon dry film lube for the cables using a MotionPro cable luber.

Last item is changing throttle return spring but I find that a safety risk; I've actually increased return spring pressure to make the bike easier to control.